It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FRA compliance question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:24 pm 

Situation:
You have a diesel locomotive that has two engines, two generators, two auxies, and two compressors. One of the engines is down for maintenance and one is operating leaving you with one main generator, one auxie, and one compressor. The unit is designed so that all other safety appliances function from either engine, other than the power loss there is no change in the locomotives function. You are waiting for parts.

Operation:
Non-insular, NOT part of the general railway system.

Question:
Does having only one of the two engines operating make this locomotive "non-compliant ?

lamontdc@adelphia.net

Post subject: Re: FRA compliance question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:05 am 

About the only thing that leaps out at me is 229.101(b) which requires a tag on the inactive engine.

Sec. 229.101 Engines.
(a) The temperature and pressure alarms, controls and related switches of internal combustion engines shall function properly.
(b) Whenever an engine has been shut down due to mechanical or other problems, a distinctive warning notice giving reason for the shut-down shall be conspicuously attached near the engine starting control until repairs have been made.
(c) Wheel slip/slide protection shall be provided on a locomotive with an engine displaying a warning notice whenever required by Sec. 229.115(b).

Part 229
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

Post subject: Re: FRA compliance question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:21 pm 

I know of several shortlines which use(d) 44/50/65-ton GE diesels, operating on only one engine when running light as a cost-saving measure. One line actually used its 44-tonner for several months while one engine was out of the locomotive being rebuilt at a Caterpillar shop.

K4s1361@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Thanks ...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:52 pm 

...for the responses. I certainly will tag the engine that is not to be started. It is always interesting to see how other folks run their operation and it usually tends towards safety and common sense. I was able to make contact with our local FRA equipment man and he was of the same opinion. As long as all the safety appliances are functioning properly they will not take exception to the operation.

lamontdc@adelphia.net