It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thomas the Tank sales decline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:10 am 

Jeffrey Fefferlyn wrote:
Emmo213 wrote:
Keep the politics out of this

It's pretty difficult to ignore the elephant in the room that is politics seeing as the brand's future lies now in the hands of the UN.

IMHO, I'd rather see the brand die rather than be reinvented into some biased indoctrinate medium to mold children's minds rather than allowing them to just be entertained.

Jeff

What do you consider "indoctrination"? Teaching kids that there are people in the world that aren't exactly like them? And that those people are good people too?

Seriously, it's posts like this that are the reason that people get turned off to this hobby.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 am 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
And what do you consider "indoctrination"? Teaching kids that there are people in the world that aren't exactly like them? And that those people are good people too?

Sir, that is the responsibility of a parent, not a TV show.

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Are you out of your mind?

Actually, it's statements like that and the inability to have a respectable dialog without a self-righteous, over-reaction that are the sole reason people get turned off to this forum. The hobby is the unfortunate victim of such.

DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 am 

Donald Cormack wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
And what do you consider "indoctrination"? Teaching kids that there are people in the world that aren't exactly like them? And that those people are good people too?

It should be but, more often than not, it's not. But if the parents aren't going to then at least somebody is trying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:39 pm 

Donald Cormack wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

You're only half right there.

People consume entertainment. Shows are part of that. The parenting comes in from deciding what type of entertainment they consume. I'd say that choosing to have their kids watching stuff that adequately prepares them for success in the modern world where they have to interact with people of different cultures, backgrounds, and persuasions, IS good parenting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:40 pm 

Donald Cormack wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Are you out of your mind?

Actually, it's statements like that and the inability to have a respectable dialog without a self-righteous, over-reaction that are the sole reason people get turned off to this forum. The hobby is the unfortunate victim of such.

DC

You are correct about this, and the reason why I decided it was better not to say that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 pm 

Bowmore wrote:
I volunteer on the Fillmore & Western in SoCal. They have come up with a number of different strategies.
They now have "Zombie Trains", where you shoot zombies with paint balls.
They also have murder mystery trains, Pumpkin liners, Xmas tree trains, and "Polar Express" trains., etc.
We have not had Thomas the Tank Engine here for a few years.

Wasn't part of an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer filmed there? I believe a train arrived in Sunnydale and all of the passengers were dead from blood loss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 pm 

From everything I have heard and seen locally, the Polar Express trips from Thanksgiving to just before Christmas are clearly the single biggest revenue generator for the CVSR, and have been for over 20 years, with around 38,000 passengers/year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm 

Donald Cormack wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

So, how about all the older people who proudly proclaim they were raised on John Wayne movies and those made them the people they are today?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 pm 

Either an indictment of Westerns, or mental illness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:53 pm 

Emmo213 wrote:
adammil1 wrote:
pretty sad now to see all this liberal crap coming after him!

Keep the politics out of this - adding female and different nationalities has been happening since I watched Shining Time Station back in the 80s.

Speaking of, I always thought Thomas lost a lot of the educational value when they switched the show from Shining Time Station to just Thomas. Sales may have picked up but it just wasn't the same experience.

Emmo213, Sorry maybe my post lacked context. Please read this terrible condescending article written about Thomas that was posted over in another thread and tell me if the article doesn't somehow piss you off? https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/health/t ... index.html

I too agree with you the Thomas of my childhood was full of colorful male and female characters of different nationalities, but somehow that wasn't good enough for our condescending liberal media.

From reading the piece over on CNN it seems like the liberal thought police put Thomas in their cross hairs, pressured PBS to drop the show and now the folks over at HIT seem to be in full blown crisis containment and pandering all the way up to the UN to obtain forgiveness!

Read this quote from CNN!
Quote:
"Thomas," the long-running television franchise about a group of working trains chugging away on the Island of Sodor, has been called a "premodern corporate-totalitarian dystopia" in the New Yorker, imperialist and sinister in Slate, and classist, sexist and anti-environmentalist in the Guardian. And yet people -- presumably parents -- spend $1 billion on "Thomas" merchandise every year.

Tell me was that really the Thomas those of us who are in our 30's or younger grew up with? Do you agree with this quote, from a once respected media outlet?

In my day Thomas was simple British steam culture written by people who loved steam locomotives. The rules of the show were simple for us young kids to understand steam locomotives were beautiful, happy, colorful, romantic, lively and energetic characters, and Diesel locomotives were mean nasty, grumpy, black creatures who should be avoided at all costs!!! Oh my god looking back at it I guess Thomas was racist too!!!!! (Too bad sarcasm won't really transpire well across the web)

Baring the whole black being bad thing the message about steam locomotives vs. Diesel is a value as an avid steam fan that I am working hard to teach my little daughter. Fortunately thanks to the help of youtube that is pretty easy to do but who knows maybe they too will come for Thomas there!

Emmo212;

Here's another article to read https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... en-parents, you honestly can't make this stuff up! If these stories appeared on the Onion I would find them hilarious but this is actually on reputable news sites, and actually seems to be part of the attacks HIT/Mattel is now facing.

Here's some hand picked quotes from this article;
Quote:
. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

For one, these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he's the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island.

Here's another quote;
Quote:
"What are you doing James? You're a big pink steamie," says Diesel, the bad-boy engine. (For the record, all the "villains" on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines. I'd like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it's not hard to make the leap into the race territory.)

Sorry I found one more quote I can't resist posting over here from the New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbi ... nd-friends

Quote:
By the time Awdry wrote “The Railway Series,” the railway industry had shifted away from steam and toward diesel and electric. But on the Island of Sodor steam locomotives are permanently on top. The caste system is very rigid. There is one diesel engine, a black train known just as “Diesel,” who struggles to prove that he’s as useful as the steam trains. Less useful than Diesel are the female passenger coaches named Annie and Clarabel, who are awarded to Thomas as prizes after he helps with a train breakdown.

I am not trying to get too deep into politics here but it really looks like Thomas is up against a seriously twisted liberal crap storm and is in full blown pander and repent mode!

I am thinking in the 2019 season get ready for Thomas to head to the works to convert to solar or plugin hybrid while getting a gender reassignment! Maybe that will finally get the folks who are writing these crazy articles to love Thomas again!

I am not in any way trying to make this about politics but sadly the other side seems to have already opened that can of worms.

The saddest part about all of this that should really concern all of us on this site though is for kids who grew up in my generation early 1980's-1990's and all the way up to those born today Thomas is probably our first exposure to a steam locomotive when our minds are just starting to develop. I really think it is in all of our interests to see that Thomas continues to fulfill the key role that the Rev. Awdry must have had in mind for him and that was to promote foster a love of steam engines for kids at an early age. I realize a form like this isn't really for politics but I sure hope we can all a agree on this form to stand up and speak out when one group coming for our beloved steam locomotives!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 pm 

adammil1,

1) For better or worse, I proudly consider myself a liberal.
2) I don't view Thomas going on vacation or being nice to girls as a bad thing.
3) I'll agree your quotes are crap. I don't believe, or at least I hope, that's not how most people view Thomas. There are indeed good life lessons a child can learn about misbehaving, being inclusive to others, etc, but the extent those articles go is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:43 pm 

adammil1 wrote:
Emmo213 wrote:
adammil1 wrote:
pretty sad now to see all this liberal crap coming after him!

Keep the politics out of this - adding female and different nationalities has been happening since I watched Shining Time Station back in the 80s.

Speaking of, I always thought Thomas lost a lot of the educational value when they switched the show from Shining Time Station to just Thomas. Sales may have picked up but it just wasn't the same experience.

Emmo213, Sorry maybe my post lacked context. Please read this terrible condescending article written about Thomas that was posted over in another thread and tell me if the article doesn't somehow piss you off? https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/22/health/t ... index.html

I too agree with you the Thomas of my childhood was full of colorful male and female characters of different nationalities, but somehow that wasn't good enough for our condescending liberal media.

From reading the piece over on CNN it seems like the liberal thought police put Thomas in their cross hairs, pressured PBS to drop the show and now the folks over at HIT seem to be in full blown crisis containment and pandering all the way up to the UN to obtain forgiveness!

Read this quote from CNN!
Quote:
"Thomas," the long-running television franchise about a group of working trains chugging away on the Island of Sodor, has been called a "premodern corporate-totalitarian dystopia" in the New Yorker, imperialist and sinister in Slate, and classist, sexist and anti-environmentalist in the Guardian. And yet people -- presumably parents -- spend $1 billion on "Thomas" merchandise every year.

Tell me was that really the Thomas those of us who are in our 30's or younger grew up with? Do you agree with this quote, from a once respected media outlet?

In my day Thomas was simple British steam culture written by people who loved steam locomotives. The rules of the show were simple for us young kids to understand steam locomotives were beautiful, happy, colorful, romantic, lively and energetic characters, and Diesel locomotives were mean nasty, grumpy, black creatures who should be avoided at all costs!!! Oh my god looking back at it I guess Thomas was racist too!!!!! (Too bad sarcasm won't really transpire well across the web)

Baring the whole black being bad thing the message about steam locomotives vs. Diesel is a value as an avid steam fan that I am working hard to teach my little daughter. Fortunately thanks to the help of youtube that is pretty easy to do but who knows maybe they too will come for Thomas there!

Emmo212;

Here's another article to read https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... en-parents, you honestly can't make this stuff up! If these stories appeared on the Onion I would find them hilarious but this is actually on reputable news sites, and actually seems to be part of the attacks HIT/Mattel is now facing.

Here's some hand picked quotes from this article;
Quote:
. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

For one, these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he's the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island.

Here's another quote;
Quote:
"What are you doing James? You're a big pink steamie," says Diesel, the bad-boy engine. (For the record, all the "villains" on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines. I'd like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it's not hard to make the leap into the race territory.)

Sorry I found one more quote I can't resist posting over here from the New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbi ... nd-friends

Quote:
By the time Awdry wrote “The Railway Series,” the railway industry had shifted away from steam and toward diesel and electric. But on the Island of Sodor steam locomotives are permanently on top. The caste system is very rigid. There is one diesel engine, a black train known just as “Diesel,” who struggles to prove that he’s as useful as the steam trains. Less useful than Diesel are the female passenger coaches named Annie and Clarabel, who are awarded to Thomas as prizes after he helps with a train breakdown.

I am not trying to get too deep into politics here but it really looks like Thomas is up against a seriously twisted liberal crap storm and is in full blown pander and repent mode!

I am thinking in the 2019 season get ready for Thomas to head to the works to convert to solar or plugin hybrid while getting a gender reassignment! Maybe that will finally get the folks who are writing these crazy articles to love Thomas again!

I am not in any way trying to make this about politics but sadly the other side seems to have already opened that can of worms.

The saddest part about all of this that should really concern all of us on this site though is for kids who grew up in my generation early 1980's-1990's and all the way up to those born today Thomas is probably our first exposure to a steam locomotive when our minds are just starting to develop. I really think it is in all of our interests to see that Thomas continues to fulfill the key role that the Rev. Awdry must have had in mind for him and that was to promote foster a love of steam engines for kids at an early age. I realize a form like this isn't really for politics but I sure hope we can all a agree on this form to stand up and speak out when one group coming for our beloved steam locomotives!

You keep throwing around this term "liberal" like it's some sort of epithet. It's not.

There are no "thought police" but there are people trying to point out some things that you might not have thought of before.

Just because you might disagree or don't see their points doesn't mean that they're "coming for you".

In this case, it sounds like there are a good number of people (especially ones who get to make decisions about it) who find some merit in their arguments.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 am 

Jeffrey Fefferlyn wrote:
Emmo213 wrote:
Keep the politics out of this

It's pretty difficult to ignore the elephant in the room that is politics seeing as the brand's future lies now in the hands of the UN.

IMHO, I'd rather see the brand die rather than be reinvented into some biased indoctrinate medium to mold children's minds rather than allowing them to just be entertained.

Also, it's "Thomas the Tank Engine", not "Thomas the Tank". That vein of ignorance has been a huge pet peeve of mine for years as it become the norm for the average plebe.

Jeff

This attitude is why I have learned to just nod and smile when at the local barbershop.

Is the museum you work at gaining or losing volunteers and visitors?

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Let's look a little more closely at the article on CNN cited by "adammil1":

Quote:
This clash between what parents desire for their children and what children desire for themselves is most easily observable in cartoon preferences. So often, the more parents dislike a show, the more their children love it.

Again, this is something that was brilliantly and repeatedly satirized in The Simpsons: the kids LOOOOOVE the ultra-gory "The Itchy and Scratchy Show" segments of the "Krusty the Clown" show. You want to kill off a show like that (or "Thomas" or any other show)? Recast it into something the parents like. (And that's exactly what was depicted in a second-season episode of The Simpsons.)

Quote:

You see, this is why I have to keep buying irony meters in bulk.
Here the media is, prattling on about parents having to make decisions about what their children should watch or not watch. Yet here we also have the news media, or at least a certain segment of it, attempting to pass judgement over those parents by acting as the authority to which those parents should listen. In other words, they're attempting to parent the parents, in what comes off as a sanctimonious fashion.
There are large segments of the population that don't react well to people telling them how to parent their children no matter how much the advice may be needed, be it from their own parents, a teacher, the First Lady, or whomever. And the ones that do seemingly uncritically accept all this preaching and obsess over whether they're parenting correctly until it consumes their every waking moment........ well, let's not go there today.

Quote:
Here's an idea, gratis, for the creative team behind of "Paw Patrol" and "Thomas," should they want to broaden their appeal to parents without alienating their fan base: Ryder and Sir Topham Hatt retire and are replaced by their equally domineering sisters. This, in turn, boosts the social status of all the non-male characters. Children would still get the satisfaction of immersing themselves in an orderly universe where rules are rules, and everyone is in his or her place. Just without the white guy on top.

So, to recap for the moment:
We forcibly retire a couple of main characters on the show, and replace them with characters that will no doubt be attacked by the followers of "political correctness" for depicting women in a "negative" fashion (bossy, negative, condescending, etc.). And the writer concludes this screed with an explicit anti-white-guy statement.
And some people wonder why large segments of white males seem alienated or "under attack" of late? Why commentators like Rush Limbaugh can make such pronouncements that Caucasian-American males are "under attack" and it rings true to so much of America?

Just this mere discussion and prattle would be enough for me, if I were a parent of somewhat conservative/libertarian philosophy, to just turn off "Thomas" and walk away from it forever, no matter what the show's producers actually do. And, somewhere in the back of the collective mind-set, that should be weighed the next time a "Thomas" event or gift shop merchandise is considered.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 am 

Jeffrey Fefferlyn wrote:
Also, it's "Thomas the Tank Engine", not "Thomas the Tank". That vein of ignorance has been a huge pet peeve of mine for years as it become the norm for the average plebe.

Or "Thomas the Train". That's a big one here that gets on my nerves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next