It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LNER A3 Salmon Trout
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:16 am 

I am probably imagining things, but I thought I read somewhere that the boiler and cylinders of LNER A3 Salmon Trout survived? Anybody heard anything. I know they found some boilers of some older British locomotives in a factory, which could be used for a variety of replicas. Anybody know anything?

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: "Spare" British boilers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:09 pm 

> I am probably imagining things, but I
> thought I read somewhere that the boiler and
> cylinders of LNER A3 Salmon Trout survived?
> Anybody heard anything. I know they found
> some boilers of some older British
> locomotives in a factory, which could be
> used for a variety of replicas. Anybody know
> anything?

As an active follower of the British rail preservation scene, I would have to say (without any guarantee of accuracy) that both stories sound bogus, or at least obsolete. It's entirely possible that a spare boiler from an A3 could have survived, but if indeed it still existed it would have long ago become the property of the owners of LNER 4472, the sole surviving A3, and the subject of existing boilers in Britain was never brought up during the proposals to rebuild an A1 Pacific replica (now under way). There really are no "well kept secrets" in British rail preservation any more than there are NYC Hudsons or PRR T1's secretly stashed in barns in North America. Besides, there are minor differences in the actual boiler plans between the LNER A3 and the Peppercorn/Thompson Pacifics; thus, using an A3 boiler would require modification and rebuild.

As for other boilers and replicas, all the serious proposals I have heard brought forth (such as rewbuilding a GWR "Saint" class or a BR 78XXX class) involved rebuilding specific "redundant" locos from the Woodhams scrap complex at Barry or building from scratch.


lner4472@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Spare" British boilers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:05 pm 

As for the other boilers, I don't think the stories are bogus. I remember reading them for sure, because like the Pennsy, many British Railways used interchangable boilers. I will have to dig that one up.

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: "Spare" British boilers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:16 pm 

I remember reading that at one time a spare boiler for 4472 that was owned by the current owner at the time I read that piece.

Joshua

joshua@joshuakblay.com


  
 
 Post subject: Our Kingdom For a Verb!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:53 pm 

> I remember reading that at one time a spare
> boiler for 4472 that was owned by the
> current owner at the time I read that piece.

A VERB, JOSHUA!!! WE NEED A VERB!!!!!


LNER4472@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: A3/A4 Boilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:49 am 

Interesting.....

I did a quick search on google, and I found a pics site that points out how the Scotsman is now sporting an A4 style boiler, but some photos of it first in preservatation (early 1960s) show it with and A3 style boiler. What's the difference? The washout plugs. The smokebox doesn't count as they are easily removable in British practice. Interesting.... This does warrant some further research.

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: A3/A4 Boilers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:08 pm 

> Interesting.....

> I did a quick search on google, and I found
> a pics site that points out how the Scotsman
> is now sporting an A4 style boiler, but some
> photos of it first in preservatation (early
> 1960s) show it with and A3 style boiler.
> What's the difference? The washout plugs.
> The smokebox doesn't count as they are
> easily removable in British practice.
> Interesting.... This does warrant some
> further research.

A spare boiler was obtained for "Flying Scotsman" - I think by its original private owner, Alan Pegler. I cannot at this time find a source but I know it has been used on the locomotive. I believe it did come from 60041 "salmon Trout" this was the second last in service being condemned in December 1965.

A4 boilers were used on A3's from the 1950's. There is no external difference. The boiler has thicker plates as A4's were pressed to 250lb,A3's 220lb.
A3's did use two visually different boilers. The original ones had small round domes, a later design had an elongated flat top, known as a "banjo dome".

Finally UK locos routinely had their boilers changed at major overhauls known as "General" or "Heavy General". Boilers took longer to repair than frames so more boilers were constructed than locos to provide a stock of spares. Gresley unstreamlined pacifics has relatively weak frames so partial or whole frame renewal also took place at major overhauls.


jimlivesey@btopenworld.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 83 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: