It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Conrail SW8 with 567B Engine — Information Needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 am 

cmotom wrote:
Interesting to see that three in a row have been preserved! The 8618 at Strasburg, the 8619 at Berkshire Scenic and now the 8620!

You're part way there with the code stamped on the block. It translates to "Complete Overhaul-2/1981-Juniata Locomotive Shop.

Our 8619 got the "CO" in 1979. Can't remember the month. The prime mover is a B-block. The 8619 was completly re-wired as well at that time and retains its original cab inards (barrel control stand, #6 brake, etc.)

She's a great runner and if the 8620 is in as good a shape as the 19, it should serve you well for many years. Parts are widely available as well.

Good luck!

Tom Delasco
Chief Mechanical Officer
Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Inc.
Lenox, MA

Tom:
Really appreciate your reply. Excellent information.

Based on my research, Conrail did different levels of rebuilds to these SW’s, some got rewired while some got rewired plus new control stands, etc like our 8620.

I agree it’s interesting and fortunate that these three CR SW8s survive. My research has found that 8621 is still around as well and was moved to Eastern Canada in 2010 for a terminal operation, but I have no info on it’s current status.

I operated many of CPR’s SW units and nearly all of their 10 SW8s. I have a lot of respect for them and have re-railed numerous GP9s and GP38s with them.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I will keep this list updated with regards to this project.

Jim
E&N Division of the
Canadian Railroad Historical Association