It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dollywood question...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 pm 

Greetings:
The 2-8-0 is still at Dollywood on display by the offices, the 2-6-0 went to the now defunct Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel, and to the best of my knowledge, still on the property there.
J.David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 am 

J.David wrote:
Greetings:
The 2-8-0 is still at Dollywood on display by the offices, the 2-6-0 went to the now defunct Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel, and to the best of my knowledge, still on the property there.
J.David

I don't think the Choo Choo is defunct. You can book a room now. https://www.choochoo.com/
The structure recently razed was the interlocking tower.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 am 

Adam Phillips wrote:
J.David wrote:
Greetings:
J.David

I don't think the Choo Choo is defunct. You can book a room now. https://www.choochoo.com/
The structure recently razed was the interlocking tower.

Chattanooga Choo Choo is definitely still extant, but has undergone many renovations.

The 2 engines at the Rebel Railroad entrance came from the nearby Smoky Mountain Railroad that ran between Sevierville and Knoxville. They were #'s 107 and 206. The #107 is an ex-ETVG/Southern Railway engine, and the #206 was originally Genesee & Wyoming. Dollywood's 192 was stored and worked on at the Smoky Mountain Railroad engine shed in Sevierville before going to Rebel Railroad. It currently wears a bell from one of the SMRR engines.

If you have a copy of Beebe & Clegg's "Mixed Train Daily", #206 is prominently featured in the title photo early on in the book. Its current status at the Choo Choo is quite depressing, especially for an engine that has such history in Knoxville.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:57 am 

At the risk of a bit of thread drift, it's interesting to see how many engines from the Smoky Valley survive, and have connections to other railroads. For instance, in addition to the 107 and the 206 mentioned in the thread, Smoky Valley 110, a tiny Pacific, is still around and operational.

And the 110 was originally built for the Little River Railroad, as was Skookum, the 2-4-4-2 that's now operational. Southern 154, leased to the Smoky Mountain for a time, is also around and operational on the Three Rivers Rambler.

Even its diesel has some interesting connections. A GE 44-tonner originally built for the Great Northern, it's now on the Walkersville Southern in Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoky_Mountain_Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:24 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
At the risk of a bit of thread drift, it's interesting to see how many engines from the Smoky Valley survive, and have connections to other railroads. For instance, in addition to the 107 and the 206 mentioned in the thread, Smoky Valley 110, a tiny Pacific, is still around and operational.

And the 110 was originally built for the Little River Railroad, as was Skookum, the 2-4-4-2 that's now operational. Southern 154, leased to the Smoky Mountain for a time, is also around and operational on the Three Rivers Rambler.

Even its diesel has some interesting connections. A GE 44-tonner originally built for the Great Northern, it's now on the Walkersville Southern in Maryland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoky_Mountain_Railroad

I'll certainly exacerbate this thread drift, as the old KS&E is one of my favorite topics.

The 107 and 154 are sister engines--although the 107 is a Baldwin product of 1887 and the 154 a Schenectady product of 1890. The Southern conducted pretty much all of the heavy maintenance for the KS&E's steam fleet at Coster Shops, and when the Southern converted to diesel the KS&E was left with little other choice.

I would argue that the 154's continued existence is largely due to its lease to the KS&E in periods when their own steam engines were down.

Further info on that particular railroad can be found here: http://www.trainweb.org/smokymtnrr/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I remember riding the train, in the cab of #71 and the engine crew pointing out the "brand new" Tennessee Tornado.

Hang on just a quick second. 71 never operated at Dollywood, did she?

No, 71 has never operated at Dollywood. There has been talk at different times of them restoring her, but none of those rumors have ever come true. 192 has run for the entire time the parks has been open, I believe 70 returned to service in 1986 if i'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 pm 

Greetings:
Thanks to one and all for your help!
J.David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 am 

Has the WP&Y ever tried to repatriate No. 71 from Dollywood? I'm sure they would LOVE to roster that engine since the others steamers that supplement No. 73 are either too small or underpowered to do the job.

I've also heard various reports that Dollywood is planning to convert their fleet to oil in the near future.

K.R. Bell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:31 am 

"Various Reports" from who? Maybe we'll see SP #18 brought in for crew training at Dollywood one day? :p haha

WP&Y has other locomotives available do they not? For the right amount of $$$ they could probably get #190, #192, or #70 ready to run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 pm 

K.R. Bell wrote:
Has the WP&Y ever tried to repatriate No. 71 from Dollywood? I'm sure they would LOVE to roster that engine since the others steamers that supplement No. 73 are either too small or underpowered to do the job.

I've also heard various reports that Dollywood is planning to convert their fleet to oil in the near future.

K.R. Bell

Part of me wants to really doubt this as Dollywood has been adamant in their advertisement of coal fired steam locomotives, but after the fires in Gatlinburg a few years back it would not surprise me if they did eventually convert to oil firing. I know they did a lot of work making new fittings to catch more cinders.

Many will remember the old days of the balloon stacks, thankfully today they resemble the spark arrestors on the D&S.

In regards to 71, I know that there was talk a while back about WP&Y purchasing more engines. While that inferred new diesel power, there was speculation that more steam power could be returning to the Yukon along with 69 and 73. 71 has sat to the far right of the shops, outside, for as long as I've known about her. About 10 years ago I read that they were wanting to get it running to use it and 70 as main power and 192 as a supplement, 192 is at its limit leaving Dollywood with a loaded 7 car train and is normally at walking speed by the crest of the big hill. But nothing has ever come of 71's restoration. Although, Dollywood has just recently completed the shopping of both 192 and 70.

Again, this is hearsay and second hand sources, none of which I would commit to as fact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pm 

196 still exists and is buried about MP 4.8 along with a rotary at White Pass. I do believe there is a track project in the very near future that will put them directly under a new siding or possible double-track.

195 is owned by Municipality of Skagway, and technically Skagway owns the 52 as well.

White Pass would be interested in the 71 if the chance ever really presented itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 pm 

JohnHillier wrote:
196 still exists and is buried about MP 4.8 along with a rotary at White Pass. I do believe there is a track project in the very near future that will put them directly under a new siding or possible double-track.

195 is owned by Municipality of Skagway, and technically Skagway owns the 52 as well.

White Pass would be interested in the 71 if the chance ever really presented itself.

John,

I think I recall meeting you at the party after the rotary run in 2011. IIRC, you ran the 69 during the event. That is still THE coolest railroad photography event that I've ever done and I'd go back in a heartbeat if they ever did it again.

The takeaways that I got from conversations with several people at that event were:

- There wasn't much interest in the 195. Apparently the MacArthurs are not a great hill-climbers.
    - The railroad was interested in another 70-class, specifically the 71.
    - The 69 was not an ideal back-up to 73. Issues included ergonomics and the need for a water support crew at Glacier, whereas the 70-class could make it all the way to Fraser, BC

Of course, that was 8 years ago and I think that many of the railroad principals who were there back then are there no longer. I hope they will keep doing some steam stuff. White Pass is a spectacular railroad for sure.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:09 pm 

Hey Kevin, you're thinking of John Westfall. He still works for White Pass but as far as I know he hasn't posted to this forum. As far as everything else, it's basically all still the same. I do think some improvements could be made to 69 for steaming and water usage but it's not up to me and it hasn't run since 2013. Should be back in service this season from the last info we heard end of last season. I'd love to see the 70 and 71 go back to White Pass, and so would a number of other people who work up there. Who knows, maybe one day.