It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another surviving US Army S-160
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 6:35 am 

Here's another surviving S-160 located in Moses Lake WA. The locomotive is complete and was operated on occaison through at least the 70's. I'm unclear on the travels of this locomotive (I don't have my notes here with me at work :-))but the #557 was it's roster number on the Alaska RR. The tender I've been told is from one of Alaska's larger "mikes."

Washington Steam Railroads and Locomotives
brianfr@speakeasy.org

Post subject: Re: Another surviving US Army S-160
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 9:18 am 

There is another S-160, no. 606, near Covington, Virginia. Looks like she was stripped down for restoration and then left to rot. Another one, no. 612, is sitting on the storage track at the Cass Scenic Railroad. Both of these engines came from Fort Eustis. I also saw one stored in Livorno, Italy as I was passing through there back in 1994.<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

Post subject: Re: Another surviving US Army S-160
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 9:19 am 

Oops. There's the image.<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

Post subject: Thanks for the pictures
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 11:21 am 

Brian, Richard;<p>Thanks for sharing your pictures. Brian's picture is already in my *personal* copy of the database; I'll add Richard's as well.<p>Richard, there are still two S-160s in Italy. They acquired serveral S-160s from the OSE in Greece, which also has six S-160s, all derelict. I hope to feature a picture of one of the Greek S-160s in a future update. (S-160s are also clearly visible in the haunting pictures Colin Garratt took of the former locomotive graveyard in Thessalonica, Greece.)

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net