It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm 

whodom wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
BL&E 643's best bet would be to be moved by rail dead in tow. Problem is CSX hasn't been all that willing to move steam locomotives. NS on the other hand has moved stuff at no cost for various preservationist.

Robert

So this engine has all plain bearing axles, correct? With 6 years of outside storage, how likely is it to be ready to roll? Hopefully it’s good to go, but I can imagine all the journals having flash-rusted.

That's the problem. They don't have the time or the equipment to go through all the running gear and make sure she's ready for a move in tow (somebody mentioned a 1472, as far as I know, nobody is suggesting she be under steam.)

That's why I suggested craning her onto flatcars. Forget about the siding, there's 3 tracks adjacent to the lot. Sell CSX on how taking one out of service for a day or two will be great public relations. You get a couple flatcars, you take the boiler off the running gear, and you have a couple of outbound loads.

Which conversation do you think will go over better with CSX?
A) "Yes, so I've got this steam locomotive that hasn't moved in X years and it's been sitting out in the rain for the last 6 and I'm wondering if you'll drag it down the mainline? Yeah, sure, it'll be fine... I think... "

B) "We've got two flatcar loads of heavy machinery on spur xxxx, they're ready for pickup..."

The buyer will like it too. Even with special handling, two flats (or 3 maybe? tender and trucks?) would cost a lot less to move than a special run at slow speed with the locomotive.

Granted, given a massive amount of time and good luck, maybe they'd donate it. Maybe... But it would take longer than we have to set up.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm 

B) "We've got two flatcar loads of heavy machinery on spur xxxx, they're ready for pickup..."

The buyer will like it too. Even with special handling, two flats (or 3 maybe? tender and trucks?) would cost a lot less to move than a special run at slow speed with the locomotive.

Option B. Ofcourse.

CSX moved 1309 that way without issues. Unless you want to count the grade crossing that got damaged by a truck that brought the CSX train to a halt.

I'd like see someone grab the N&W tender even if nothing else makes it out of there.

Me, I've got a fresh box of popcorn and I am going to retreat to the cheap seats and watch the show.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:15 pm 

Go back to my last two posts earlier in this thread about building a temporary shoo-fly to the stub-ended siding. Yes, there is some civil work needed to make a temporary connection with panel track and probably need 4 or 5 players to all agree to the plan.

You don't approach a Class I about moving something special like this until you have the right plan and the right qualified people in place and you can demonstrate that you actually ARE preparing the engine properly for movement if you hope to go that route.

But I must admit I've been thinking more and more the last two days about cranes and heavy haul trailers and trucking it out in 7 pieces or so.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:34 pm 

Well, the news of the 643 is spreading to more general outlets, even with a somewhat lighter tone.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28065/why ... 5ZHEx2HxZM

Who knows, maybe the right person or persons will see it in such a venue.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 am 

J3a, That is an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. Hopefully the Pittsburgh area papers or TV stations do a skit on the BL&E 643. The biggest issue always seems to be getting the word out in time. There is always someone with really deep pockets that might just be interested in saving this piece of history.

I still don't understand why this is not on Ozark Mountain or Rail Swap? Ebay might have worked for BNSF and UP to sell SD40-2 diesels. But this needs to be out in front of more rail oriented crowds via Ozark or some such.

Lastly, Let's not forget what they said about Bigboy "No way in hell will one ever run again." Fast forward to today and look what is roaming western rails for the first time in 60 years.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 am 

Rob Gardner wrote:
But I must admit I've been thinking more and more the last two days about cranes and heavy haul trailers and trucking it out in 7 pieces or so.
Rob Gardner

As someone else already pointed out, it has to be dismantled anyway. Tender should be the least problem because of weight and size. Jewelry needs to be off before transport for a host of reasons.

If you were going to do this, how would you take it apart? I didn’t realize the bridge was that fragile. That’s even more reason for going all to pieces, but which pieces left together for the best combination of efficient truck or rail car use and speed to get her out of these fast? I’d be inclined to leave any part that was relatively lightweight and didn’t pose a clearance issue, just to save time.Boiler has to come off sometime anyway, cab has to come off, but how to knock down the rest?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 am 

Even if CSX would allow this down the main line on it's own wheels, it's pretty obvious there isn't enough time to get the locomotive prepped for something like that. I'm fairly sure at a minimum the braking system has to work to some degree. It's likely the wheels will be too far worn (sharp flanges) as most old locomotives are usually run into the ground before overhaul.

It's becoming more obvious that this locomotive will be moved by truck or flat car. They should remove the rods, pistons, cross heads, tender linkage, dynamo, cylinder covers, and lubricators. This would drop the weight considerably and is something two people can do in just a few days and a forklift. I would also remove the front plow which should come off fairly easily. The more weight you take off the cheaper the crane lift will be.

If they can get this locomotive mostly dissembled, jacked up, and ready to go. It will make selling it much more appealing as the new owner has more options to remove it from the property. If the owner wants this sold he or she should at least make a minimal effort to get it ready for transport or at least give some quotes with a ball park figure on how much it would cost to remove it. So far he hasn't done anything except a very brief description and a few photos in the Ebay listing. Ozark rail car usually has a very detailed and long listing, 30-40 photographs, along with contact names for shipping. Even if I had the money I would question the professionalism of the seller. He is selling this locomotive more like a model train then a real locomotive.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 am 

Stop agonizing over what you don't have and work the problem. Some good suggestions are being discussed, then we have grieving over what has not yet happened.
Lubricating and polishing the journals is hardly impossible.

Rob Gardner made a very good comment: Get a plan together, get some local interest and support, then approach CSX.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:34 am 

I like the idea of taking the 643 apart and loading her onto flatcars. If an offer were made (a big if) before the July 1st deadline and they met that offer, could she potentially sit at the property after July 1st if payed for? If I were the seller, I wouldn’t scrap something for 50k after I was made an offer for 375k even if it was past the set deadline. I hope the seller, whomever that might be, knows this.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Lubricating and polishing the journals is hardly impossible.

I'm not worried about it. If the journals are corroded, they will need turning and the crown brasses will need to be relined to the new fit anyhow, so just squeeze in some heavy sticky lube and later fix the problem once she's someplace safe. The obvious huge problem - worth very little but with a high price tag due to the location and moving situation costing more than the hulk is worth - are the only ones to devote any effort towards solving right now. All else is moot.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:35 pm 

Why not just put the siding back in, leave 643 in place, raise the locomotive like they did with Reading 2100 then pull a section of track under the locomotive, move in a flat car and lower the locomotive. No journals to prep or rods to remove. Repeat the same for the tender. That way there is a solid foundation for the jacks and no need to move the locomotive forward or back. Just my 2 cents.
Saw this engine in the roundhouse back in the early 1980's and the condition was fantastic ! Too bad it couldn't have stayed there.
Didn't the original owner have Timken make new pistons for it ? I remember that it was steamed and the he died shortly thereafter.

Kevin K

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

All of these suggested rescue plans are meaningless unless SOMEONE wants 643 badly and has the deep pockets and a plan what to do with it afterward.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 pm 

Another new venue:

https://barnfinds.com/railroad-find-194 ... TfSY7ptvoM

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:18 pm 

I have no idea if they would be interested, nor do I have any connection to any institution, but if (probably) this locomotive is never in all practicality going to operate again it should go to an appropriate museum. The two closest to where it operated are the station museum in Conneaut, Ohio, or the Lake Shore Railway Museum in Northeast, PA. Conneaut has steam represented in the form of NKP Berk 755, so whether they would be interested or have the space for another steam locomotive is a question mark, and Lake Shore seems to have headed in the direction of representing the history of GE Diesel locomotives, so again the question of interest is important.

Really, my first choice for a home for 643 would be the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg. They have tried to represent all parts and railroads of PA and as far as I know, they don't have a significant piece from the B&LE. It's a totally Pennsylvania locomotive, a Baldwin product, owned and operated in PA. 643 would be a great replacement for the recently (and appropriately) departed NKP 757. I know they have their problems as well, especially with space and display room, so again, interest and capability to absorb it into the collection are major questions, and a significant fundraising effort would have to go into getting it there and keeping it presentable. Perhaps knowing that the time, effort and money he put into acquiring and restoring the locomotive would be appreciated and treasured by it's home state would help convince Mr. Campbell to agree to such a move for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm 

As long as we're talking about static display sites, the Pittsburgh and Ohio Central goes past the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum and the Washington County Fairgrounds. I like Rob Gardner's idea of relaying the old track from the end of the building to where the locomotive is now. If you could load it up on a couple of really big flatcars, you could haul it around the industrial area and onto the P&OC tracks, then over to one of those two display sites.

But as others have said, it seems to be a moot point. There doesn't seem to be much of an effort to sell the locomotive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next