It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: UPRR 3985?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:46 pm 

Tails wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:
Dave wrote:
What's to discuss? It's UP's program and their decision. None of us here have any right to presume to know their business better than they do.

Amen!

But...But that implies they don't run the heritage program just to make Railfans happy. And we all know Railfans know best how up should spend its money.

Scarcasm aside.....I'll third That

I'll skip the fourth and go right for a fifth. After reading this I can use drink. Please move to the gossip fence or railfanning.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 pm 

Technically this forum IS about PRESERVATION... I believe the Interchange is for PRESERVATION related topics. If you don’t like this forum, then why do you take the time and read/respond to it if you don’t like it? Just ignore it. No personal attacks have been made so what’s the issue? Don’t give me the whole speech about foamers and railfans thinking they know how everything works. This was a discussion about the Cheyenne Steam Crew and it is currently being hijacked by those of you who think it should be moved or deleted. What harm is it doing to people who care to communicate with each other? None. Why can’t people share opinions without being judged or labeled as a “Foamer”? If you don’t like this forum IGNORE IT AND DON’T RESPOND!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:23 pm 

Someone starts posting and someone tries to say that he was God and I know everything. BUT FOR THE MOMENT, without any official update, UPRR 3985 will be restored

WHEN we don't know
The roundhouse stay up
ANd UP steam program has a future

Tabanark (damn in french) stop starting a fire thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Technically this forum IS about PRESERVATION... I believe the Interchange is for PRESERVATION related topics. If you don’t like this forum, then why do you take the time and read/respond to it if you don’t like it? Just ignore it. No personal attacks have been made so what’s the issue? Don’t give me the whole speech about foamers and railfans thinking they know how everything works. This was a discussion about the Cheyenne Steam Crew and it is currently being hijacked by those of you who think it should be moved or deleted. What harm is it doing to people who care to communicate with each other? None. Why can’t people share opinions without being judged or labeled as a “Foamer”? If you don’t like this forum IGNORE IT AND DON’T RESPOND!!!!

You are the one who made the quip about scrapping everything in the Cheyenne roundhouse.

I did not mean to offend anyone personally with my comments. When I saw the #4014 in Duluth last weekend in all its magnificent might, it just dawned on me that Union Pacific DID NOT have to do all this. Compared to other railroad companies, Union Pacific is the outlier. Think about it; a modern private American company owns two operating steam locomotives, an operating steam shop, and then some. I can only imagine how much their public relations budget is every year, but something tells me the corporate accountants' heads are spinning in Omaha.

And let's be honest, can the general public even tell the difference between the Big Boy and Challenger? I am not hating on the Challenger, but could this be a big reason it is on the backburner?

If UP wanted to do a PR campaign, they could do so for far cheaper.

Lastly, I really do not want RYPN turning into Trainorders; where every other post has something to do with either how far Ed Dickens sticks his head out of the locomotive cab or his personal opinions on rocky road ice cream. (Yes, the sarcasm was intended).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
NS6770fan wrote:

You are the one who made the quip about scrapping everything in the Cheyenne roundhouse.

I did not mean to offend anyone personally with my comments. When I saw the #4014 in Duluth last weekend in all its magnificent might, it just dawned on me that Union Pacific DID NOT have to do all this. Compared to other railroad companies, Union Pacific is the outlier. Think about it; a modern private American company owns two operating steam locomotives, an operating steam shop, and then some. I can only imagine how much their public relations budget is every year, but something tells me the corporate accountants' heads are spinning in Omaha.

And let's be honest, can the general public even tell the difference between the Big Boy and Challenger? I am not hating on the Challenger, but could this be a big reason it is on the backburner?

If UP wanted to do a PR campaign, they could do so for far cheaper.

Lastly, I really do not want RYPN turning into Trainorders; where every other post has something to do with either how far Ed Dickens sticks his head out of the locomotive cab or his personal opinions on rocky road ice cream. (Yes, the sarcasm was intended).

Exactly. There’s no reason running around like a chicken with its head cut off. There’s no reason to get worked up over this until we see the paperwork or press release or whatever stating they plan to do anything, because at this point most of this talk is just hearsay. 4014 hasn’t even been fully restored for 3 months and we’re already worried about 3985? Let’s enjoy 4014 and 844 for a few years and if we hear anything FROM THEM scrapping or getting rid of equipment, then it’ll be time to worry.

Sorry NS6770, but I’ve been in this train of rumors before (no pun intended, check my W&LE 3960 thread a few years ago), and until those rumors have left the station (pun intended), there’s little reason to worry and get obsessed with the ultimatums.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 am 

I'm perfectly fine being labeled a foamer. If I wasn't....if I don't like steam....I would never have been stupid enough to start working on and running steam for a living a decade ago in my early 20s. I've crawled into done nasty dirt places.....had my whole body soaked in oil....and soot making me look blacker then I naturally am. Being called a foamer isn't an insult. It made me find a job I can make a decent living doing.

Everything I've added I've heard from ppeople I turst. That's all I will say for obvious reason. But since it didn't come from Ed (have not seen him since last summer) it's all still a rumor. Until they say anything official.....it's all rumors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:24 pm 

I’ll amen to that. Being a foamer led me to become an employee of a steam powered tourist railroad at the age of 16. Been a great decade plus of employment for me.

Selfishly I would love to see a lot of steam locomotives in operation. The camelback at Strasburg, the William Mason, and yes the Challenger etc. that doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for the 100+ locomotives I’ve seen under steam in the past decade.

It’s sad how the complainers are the ones who derailed this thread topic that had some interesting information being posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:49 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I’ll amen to that. Being a foamer led me to become an employee of a steam powered tourist railroad at the age of 16. Been a great decade plus of employment for me.

Selfishly I would love to see a lot of steam locomotives in operation. The camelback at Strasburg, the William Mason, and yes the Challenger etc. that doesn’t mean I’m not grateful for the 100+ locomotives I’ve seen under steam in the past decade.

It’s sad how the complainers are the ones who derailed this thread topic that had some interesting information being posted.

Amen!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:43 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

This actually raises an interesting question: how do such odd requests reflect upon those making the requests? Obviously it's not unusual to see such remarks from your garden variety track side photography foamer, but from a man like Ross Rowland himself is a bit odd. So here's the question: if you hadn't already decided to ignore Ross after multiple failed attempts (Greenbrier Express, Yellow Ribbon Express), are you going to now? Can we effectively shun such silliness out of the community?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:50 pm 

In response to your last question, that would be physically impossible. And besides, what else would make these threads entertaining? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:58 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:

Amen!

The only thing off topic here is the complaining that this thread should be moved or deleted. Those of you who caused this are the problem here. Who cares if foamers speculate and discuss RAILWAY PRESERVATION (The title of THIS FORUM) with each other? As I’ve said before, why not just ignore it? None of you bicker on about Mr. Rowland’s ideas, so you shouldn’t do the same here. If you don’t like it, move along and read other threads. Not that hard to ignore one thread even if it’s on the front page or not. No one is forcing you to click on the “UPRR 3985” thread every time you do. Let foamers/railfans do as they wish. What harm can it cause if a few guys speculate what will happen with a famous steam loco? No harm done. Now if you would please move along this thread can get back into its original topic, UP 3985.

I hope she is restored before the Flue Time on the other two expire so we can get a triple header of pure ALCo Power!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 am 

davew833 wrote:
It should be noted that recent work on trackage near the Cheyenne roundhouse severed the whisker tracks, essentially landlocking #3985, the E9 trio, and anything else that is in the roundhouse. Those tracks would/will need to be replaced before anything is moved out of the roundhouse.

This is due to a ongoing environmental clean up of the rail yard that has been in works for several years now and will go on for many more. One of the bigger projects was installing this large storage/retention pond where the old coal dock was. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cheye ... 04.8202462

In the upcoming years I am sure that area around the old round house will change considerably, and I expect to see only a minimal amount of tracks to be left. They have already removed a considerable amount in the yard as a whole.

There is also future plans to turn the old round house into a museum that will be part of the Cheyenne depot experience. From my understanding they will be building a pedestrian bridge from the depot to the roundhouse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am 

Are the Ex Rio Grande F units and the E8 (9?) still there? Also I found this thread over on trainorders,. (to his “followers” over here, it doesn’t contain a lot of rude things directed toward Ed.) That thread is fairly on topic and according to a few seniors at UP besides you know who, UP 3985 will NOT be apart of the steam program for the foreseeable future. Hopefully she will be loaned or donated somewhere instead of sitting in the roundhouse with 5511 and 844. To bad she wasn’t loaned to Rail Giants in California in place of the 4014 to begin with. Then her fate would have been chosen back in 2014 and we wouldn’t have all these threads with complainers. But hey, at least she is safe even if she won’t be restored!

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... 10,4837358

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am 

Tom F wrote:
There is also future plans to turn the old round house into a museum that will be part of the Cheyenne depot experience. From my understanding they will be building a pedestrian bridge from the depot to the roundhouse.

This is awesome to hear! I always wondered why this was never proposed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:48 am 

NS6770fan wrote:
But hey, at least she is safe even if she won’t be restored!

Not restored NOW. In another 12 or 13 years things might look a lot different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next