It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frisco Turntable
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 1999 2:48 am 

The Oklahoma Railway Museum has been given the Frisco turntable in OKC. Lenght 102 feet. Looking for information on turntable, weight, wheels, motor, prints etc. Some parts were taken to Memphis where there maybe a like turntable. <br>

drakerr@telepath.com

Post subject: Re: Frisco Turntable
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 1999 5:17 pm 

Additional information obtained from the BNSF. Turntable is a 100' Bethlehem Turntable building in 1920 and orginally installed in Sapulpa, OK. Moved to Oklahoma City in 1929 to replace an 82' turntable. Have obtain copy of prints from BNSF. Mr. Bob Stremcha, of BNSF, has been very helpful on this project.<br>

drakerr@telepath.com

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm 

Note: The above was posted in 1999.

The 100-foot-long turntable was trucked to the Oklahoma Ry Museum grounds in April.

News story with short video of it being delivered: http://newsok.com/article/5545700

Museum website with a few more pics: http://www.oklahomarailwaymuseum.org/me ... mber-news/

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 pm 

Holy crap-18 years to take delivery?!

Did they get the accessories to go with it?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:36 am 

I guess I better mention that I am not trying to stir anything up by pointing out the date of the previous post. This site seems to thrive on controversy, so maybe some assumed that's what I was trying to do. When I revive an old thread, I point out the original date to clue the reader, and that's all I was doing here. Didn't mean to illicit a "holy crap" reply. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 pm 

Congrats to the Oklahoma Ry Museum for getting this done. My info it that the donation was made in 1994 and the 23 year effort to move it must set some sort of record. This is the 105th turntable moved for use at a museum or tourist line, and now one of 61 moved and in storage. We wish them well in getting it into use more quickly. My data says the table does not have a motor or end wheels as these were moved to be used for others still in service long ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 pm 

It looks like the turntable was allowed to stay in situ until ORM could make up a proper home for it. Alternately, the donation was conditional on when the railroad was "done" with it. Will wait for the full story to come out, it might present some interesting ideas in securing donations.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT