It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barriger Library Photo Postings
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:12 am 

The staff and volunteers at Barriger Library have been very busy scanning many thousands of slides I donated and the results of their dedicated efforts are posted here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/albums/

Some of the items being posted are from my years as a college student, when I was learning how to do industrial photography. Access to the railroad was provided by the father of a classmate. That highly respected gentleman was a major influence on my subsequent decisions to spend 50 years teaching in the railroad and marine industries.

There are many items yet to post, including thousands of previously unpublished night photos, and walk-around photo surveys of new equipment shot 40 or more years ago. Some of these programs were stored for many decades, the railroads they cover were absorbed in mergers long ago. About 99% of the railroad industry photography has never been shown or published since when it was originally shot.

I will be eventually providing location information as they scan the images. In a few cases I may write captions when it is appropriate. Most of my available time now has to go to getting a few remaining large articles completed. I am sorry it is taking so long to respond to inquiries from RYPN participants, but there is so much that needs to be done.

PC

Attachments:
CRIP-639-E7A-JOLIET-IL-1977-P-COOK.jpg
CRIP-639-E7A-JOLIET-IL-1977-P-COOK.jpg [ 56.56 KiB | Viewed 1064 times ]
UPRR-82-DD35A-CAJON-SUMMIT-NOV78-P-COOK.jpg
UPRR-82-DD35A-CAJON-SUMMIT-NOV78-P-COOK.jpg [ 60.34 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]
CS-DUNN-SUNSET-1R-P-COOK-1984.jpg
CS-DUNN-SUNSET-1R-P-COOK-1984.jpg [ 55.03 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]
BM-1707-DEERFIELD-DEC69-P-COOK.jpg
BM-1707-DEERFIELD-DEC69-P-COOK.jpg [ 66.61 KiB | Viewed 1077 times ]

Post subject: Re: Barriger Library Photo Postings
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:29 am 

Future title: The Lost Years: The Early Photography of Preston Cook.

If the preview is just a sample, it should be a best-seller.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:07 am 

Generous donation, Preston.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am 

Thanks for the comments. The railroad tug photos were posted on the Barriger site last week and a couple questions came in, so I will share the answers here:

In the shot of the Chessie tug J. SPEED GRAY on the Barriger site, shown leaving the tug basin with the ship in the background, the person on the pier is Jim Boyd. Captain Weaver landed him there to photograph the departing tugs from the pier while I did photos from another tug. In historically appropriate General MacArthur fashion, Jim yelled “I have returned” as he landed, since he boarded the tug from the same pier earlier that day. Unlike the General, he did not ask to stage the return several times for photos. This photo session was done in 1983.

The red sunset shot of the Chessie tug M. I. DUNN developed as the last shots of the tug CHESSIE delivery trip in 1984. We were hours late arriving in Newport News due to thick fog off New Jersey. The DUNN pulled alongside and the only option in the afterglow was 1/8 second wide open. Fortunately my camera had a crosshairs with ruler focusing screen and I was able to follow the tug accurately.

I did the delivery trips of both the CHESSIE and the SEABOARD.

The M. I. DUNN had the greatest name recognition of any railroad tug, with or without a knowledge of railroad history.

There are a few slides posted on the website so far that I do not remember. It could be failing memory or it could be items given to me by friends who did not put their names on the slides. If the latter, we will try to get them correctly credited as we identify them. This is challenging fifty years afterwards.

PC

Attachments:
CS-TUGS-GRAY-AND-DUNN-WITH-JIM-BOYD-P-COOK-PHOTO.jpg
CS-TUGS-GRAY-AND-DUNN-WITH-JIM-BOYD-P-COOK-PHOTO.jpg [ 55.04 KiB | Viewed 948 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:10 pm 

Been loving the marine stuff and can not wait to see more.

I recently got all of the logs from the NYCH tugs, so if we have dates, we can almost pin down those moves to the minute. One lining a carfloat on the nose up the East River is a long dead artform. Nobody would ever think of doing that today with a 1500HP single screw tug.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:57 pm 

That leads to another question I got today - Who was the NYCH tug captain shown in my photos on the Barriger Library website? My recollection is that he is Salvatore Notarile, and that he assisted several railroad historical society annual conventions held in the New York area by doing waterfront history lectures and providing narration on harbor cruises.

PC

Attachments:
NYCH-PILOTHOUSE-VIEW-1987-P-COOK.jpg
NYCH-PILOTHOUSE-VIEW-1987-P-COOK.jpg [ 57.16 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]
NYCH-UNDERWAY-HORIZ-1R-P-COOK.jpg
NYCH-UNDERWAY-HORIZ-1R-P-COOK.jpg [ 62.06 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm 

I do not think that is Sal. Sal traditionally wore a beret. I will pull out of of the logs tomorrow and see who the Mate (they called him "assistant captain" at NYCH) was in that era.

The M.I. Dunn was the last working railroad tug on the East Coast (Theresa S. Krause) and is currently for sale.