It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Diplomat moving on Tuesday
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm 

Dang, if only there was a railroad that ran by there and it could be loaded on a flatcar...

The fate of the line is now in discussions between the owners and a trail group. Even though there are two feed mills, two concrete plants, 3 propane dealers, and a fertilizer dealer all screaming for rail service... counties want the railroad gone. For an area with very few transportation options, I think it is incredibly short sighted. The Bay Coast didn't die because of no customers or track conditions, but poor management that had to finally shut down when they could no longer fuel the locomotives.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:53 pm 

Although the Delmarva Central Railroad, the new operator of the northern portion of the defunct Bay Coast Railroad, has had the option of extending service further south to Parksley, it has chosen not to do so. See:

Cost of Repairs Debated
https://www.easternshorepost.com/2019/0 ... s-debated/
Excerpt:
DCR President Mark Rosner told Canonie Atlantic board members Tuesday night the lower price doesn’t include the $80,000 in yearly maintenance that would be needed and it wouldn’t bring the line up to DCR’s standards.

“It comes down to dollars and cents,” said Rosner. “If he’s wrong on one tie, we get fined by the federal government … what you’re proposing is very basic and it doesn’t get us where we want to be. You can’t get contractors down here. They don’t want to come down for a small job.”

In addition, work would have to be done on another five miles from Oak Hall’s Lecato Station to Hallwood to get the cars north. Rosner said DCR has already invested $1.75 million of its own money. “We didn’t expect to have pricing issues” or to lose customers. “We’re committed to the Eastern Shore, but we can’t spend any more money.”

DCR also doesn’t want to employ a second shift of workers. “Our guys only work 12 hours a day,” which is possible when cars go 25 mph. If the cars go slower, it takes longer.

“From an economic standpoint we need to be able to have the speed, that is safe, that we feel comfortable running.” Rosner said 700 cars a year would be needed to make it worthwhile.

Railroad's future: Will it be viable option on Virginia's Eastern Shore?

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/ ... 219532001/

Excerpt:
Carload Express President Mark Rosner said the amount of business Associated Grain committed to is not enough to make it economically viable to extend freight service to Parksley.

"From our perspective, it really comes down to dollars and cents," Rosner said.

Of the figure Zuspan came up with, he said, "His numbers, potentially, get it to Class 2, but that is a very basic minimum If he's wrong on one tie, it's not Class 2. If we run 25 miles an hour and he is wrong on one tie, we get fined by the federal government."

Additionally, it would take another $80,000 or so each year to maintain the section, according to Rosner.

At the number of cars Lewis' business committed to, "We'll lose money on every car, and that's why we don't want to do it," Rosner said.

A recent issue of Railpace reported that the Delmarva Central Railroad plans to store idled freight cars on the lower end of the nearly 15 miles of track it took over from the BCR, so no matter what potential business is available in Parksley, the DCR prefers to park cars on the line rather than use it for what they see as a money-losing operation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 pm 

Well, yeah, upgrading it to a Class 2 track for 25mph and trying to switch the entire Eastern Shore in one 12hour shift with one crew is most definitely a money looser.

A small company with a couple guys doing everything plugging away on excepted track (which is what the BCR did for years, I know, I worked for them for 7 years) could make some money and keep rail service as a transportation option for the lower shore. The BCR was getting huge grants from the state as well, just never saw it go back in the track. Start moving some freight, bring back a lot of the disgusted shippers that were really mad at BCR, and keep plowing money and grants back into the infrastructure. I know from personal experience, Canonie Atlantic doesn't really want it to operate anymore. My company and a couple others were flat turned down when we offered that kind of option. They didn't even want to learn about it, just constantly repeating 'it would be millions of dollars to rebuild it, we just don't see anyone wanting to do it' instead of listening to proposals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:07 pm 

A nice lady at the Eastern Shore Railway Museum tells me that the Diplomat is now scheduled to be trucked out on April 13, 2021. She also advises that anyone interested in watching for the movement check the ESRM's Facebook pages for any changes.

The Diplomat is owned by the Delmarva Chapter NRHS and has been on loan to the museum. It will be going to the Colebrookdale Railroad in PA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 pm 

Here's the latest in the saga of the movement of the Diplomat, or rather, the non-movement. From the Eastern Shore Railway Museum's Facebook page:

Well, as most knew the Diplomat car had been sold to a museum in PA. They decided they don't want it, so we will be keeping it. If you were coming to see it being moved on April 12th or 13th, it won't be going. Come on by and visit us this season. We'll be glad to see you.

Does anyone else need a big Pullman?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:07 pm 

Tim Moriarty wrote:
Here's the latest in the saga of the movement of the Diplomat, or rather, the non-movement. From the Eastern Shore Railway Museum's Facebook page:

Well, as most knew the Diplomat car had been sold to a museum in PA. They decided they don't want it, so we will be keeping it. If you were coming to see it being moved on April 12th or 13th, it won't be going. Come on by and visit us this season. We'll be glad to see you.

Does anyone else need a big Pullman?

I'd call this fake news, but I don't know if liberal democrats are allowed to use that term. In any case, it's not true. The move was delayed because of health concerns of the folks doing the work. Gosh, I'm worried now I can't believe everything I read on here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:34 am 

I returned to the ESRM's Facebook page and found the following, which I have not edited for spelling or grammar:

update this is getting confusing but looks like the museum from PA is still interested there been a delay. Sorry for any miss understanding and will keep you updated as any knew news .

"Fake news" or "knew news," take your pick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:21 pm 

From the ESRM's Facebook page dated June 15, 2021:

"Well everyone the Colebrook Railway from PA is coming Monday and Tuesday to take the DIPLOMAT CAR . They are going to restore the car and use on there excursions. We wish for safety on transport of the car and hope to see photos after restored.."

That's actually the Colebrookdale Railroad and "Monday and Tuesday" means tomorrow and the next day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:45 pm 

Tim Moriarty wrote:

"Well everyone the Colebrook Railway from PA is coming Monday and Tuesday to take the DIPLOMAT CAR . They are going to restore the car and use on there excursions. We wish for safety on transport of the car and hope to see photos after restored.."

That's actually the Colebrookdale Railroad and "Monday and Tuesday" means tomorrow and the next day.

Either ESRM is letting Colebrookdale troll them over and over or someone there has comprehension problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:00 pm 

PMC wrote:
Tim Moriarty wrote:

Either ESRM is letting Colebrookdale troll them over and over or someone there has comprehension problems.

Given the grammatical errors, and the fact that Colebrookdale is well-known for restoring Pullmans (Pullmen?), I’d say it’s the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
FINALLY:

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/di ... nsylvania/