It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another one dug up..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:49 am 

Another loco retrieved from a river in New Zealand....
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/southland ... ti-river-0
Looks in remarkably good condition, considering where it has been since 1927!

Post subject: Re: Another one dug up..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 am 

They'll do something brilliant with the machine, just watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:48 pm 

2-6-2 according to the article it was built in 1885 .in the example photograph it looks British built with an oval builders plate mounted on smoke box per US practice which is rather un british anyone know who the builder was?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
They were reporting that the two were built in Manchester 1885, so either Beyer, Peacock or Sharp, Stewart (which relocated to Glasgow in 1888).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:02 pm 

Makes sense both used oval plates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:30 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
They were reporting that the two were built in Manchester 1885, so either Beyer, Peacock or Sharp, Stewart (which relocated to Glasgow in 1888).

Appears to be a Nasmyth, Wilson & Co product - another firm from Manchester.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_V_class
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasmyth,_ ... nd_Company
The Wiki entry on the company claims these were the first locos built with 2-6-2 wheel arrangement in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:07 am 

I wonder about the decision to leave the second engine in place, they might not be able to get it out in one piece but at least some of it could be recovered, as it is it will continue to deteriorate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 pm 

It would be interesting to hear what perspective the NZ group could offer on the idea of recovering the AT&SF 2-8-2 locomotives 3167 and 4076 that sunk in the Kaw River in Topeka, KS during a flood in 1952. The NZ group seems to be up-to-date on the latest technologies for doing pre-recovery investigation and preservation to address post-recovery corrosion.

Here is some additional information on the locomotives in Topeka: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10313

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:53 pm 

The Kiwis seem to be quite good at salvaging these locomotives.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm 

I wonder how much the environmental and state/fed regulations here in the USA have to do with the cost in comparison to NZ? Not to say there shouldn't be safe guards, but like OSHA and the Cowboy of years ago, this may have something to do with costs? Not saying it is so, but wondering out loud. Enter EPA, DNR, coast guard if navigable water. Then the city if in one and the legal insurance adjustments. Not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be done but not just a matter of floating them up and a big crane on a barge.

Recently watched a documentary of the raising of the iron clad CSS Georgia in Savannah harbor. Took years of getting the money and all the studies from university and US Navy together to eventually make the salvage possible. The boat was to far gone to raise but they did pick the bottom pretty clean. Point is it is a romantic idea to salvage and raise an old boat or sunken steam locomotives, but a lot goes into making it happen. Stasi had a "sunken engine" on its way to restoration and I think that project is involved enough. You know if any locomotive was brought up out of the "muck" we or someone would feel the challenge to restore it to operation. Cool project but plenty of park engines to save and much easier to do so. Just not as romantic maybe?

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:36 pm 

John Risley wrote:
I wonder how much the environmental and state/fed regulations here in the USA have to do with the cost in comparison to NZ? Not to say there shouldn't be safe guards, but like OSHA and the Cowboy of years ago, this may have something to do with costs? Not saying it is so, but wondering out loud. Enter EPA, DNR, coast guard if navigable water. Then the city if in one and the legal insurance adjustments. Not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be done but not just a matter of floating them up and a big crane on a barge.

Recently watched a documentary of the raising of the iron clad CSS Georgia in Savannah harbor. Took years of getting the money and all the studies from university and US Navy together to eventually make the salvage possible. The boat was to far gone to raise but they did pick the bottom pretty clean. Point is it is a romantic idea to salvage and raise an old boat or sunken steam locomotives, but a lot goes into making it happen. Stasi had a "sunken engine" on its way to restoration and I think that project is involved enough. You know if any locomotive was brought up out of the "muck" we or someone would feel the challenge to restore it to operation. Cool project but plenty of park engines to save and much easier to do so. Just not as romantic maybe?

Regards, John.

True there are many park engines, but recovering the only surviving examples of ATSF Mikes is certainly a worthy goal.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:04 pm 

Not to mention those ATSF Mikes are orders of magnitude larger than those little Kiwi kettles. The bulk alone would make it much more difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:35 pm 

I don't know if the trust or group would try to restore it to operation condition? I remember reading about the K88 Washington that was buried in the same river which was recovered in 1973. One man Mr. Anderson restored the K88 to operating condition. So I don't know if this group want to try to do what Anderson did with the K88 Washington?

it will be interesting about they will do with this locomotive?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:04 pm 

There are three engines in the Kaw River at that site. Two are 2-8-2s and one is a 2-6-2. As I understand it, one 2-8-2 and the 2-6-2 have been visible during dry spells, and the visible 2-8-2 was partly cut up for scrap when water was not completely covering it. I am not sure if the 2-6-2 was also partly cut up. But the other 2-8-2 has never been found. All three would be very easy to find with a magnetometer. Recovery cost would be high.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19 am 

Follow up:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/1 ... -southland