It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V&T "Reno"
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 1999 8:11 pm 

With the recent discussion of the Wild, Wild West movie, I wonder if anyone can tell us the condition of former V&T 4-4-0 No. 11, at the Old Tuscon site in Arizona?<p>Some years ago, Old Tuscon apparently had plans to gut the boiler and tender to convert the engine to compressed air operation. My understanding was that they planned to put an internal combustion engine and air compressor in the firebox, with large air reservoirs mounted in the tender. Various sources have told me that this was and wasn't carried out.<p>Does anyone know what really happened? It would seem a crime to do such damage to such a historic locomotive, which was still running in the late 1960s.<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: V&T "Reno"
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 1999 4:15 pm 

I was also wondering about the "Reno", as I mentioned in my previous post. I talked with Harold Dorsey of the B&O RR Museum, who went out to New mexico with the "William Mason" (aka "The Wanderer") for the filming of "Wild Wild West" as part of the engine crew. He indicated that the "Reno", which was playing the "119" at the Golden Spike filming was not operational and the special effects crew rigged it for a mock "explosion". I too hope that this loco can be fully restored, whether to serve in movies or as an operational exhibit in some collection. It is one of the great icons of Western Railroads.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 1999 4:18 pm 

The RENO was severely damaged in an arson fire at Old Tucson several years ago. When I saw her in December of 1997?, she was rusting away on the north side of the "town". She was evidently cosmetically restored {painted and a new cab} by the movie company as payment for the use and returned to Old Tucson. There was an article in one of the train magazines a while back. Don't recall which one just now.<br>

steameng@pacbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 1999 3:36 pm 

Thanks for the information,Kelly. On checking back with the NSRM web site, I discovered that ex-V&T RR Baggage Car #1 and Coach #19 were also completely destroyed in the fire at Old Tucson in 1995. Let's hope the "Reno" can be brought back to life ala Dan Markoff's restoration of Eureka and Palisades RR #4...

Nevada State RR Museum
JMFouchard@aol.com