It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Now is the time to prepare for re-opening...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:52 pm 

I ageee Randy. A lot can be done right now to get a good idea of what it will take to get back up and running safely and responsibly.

Contact the guests that are on your email list with a simple survey asking what measures they want to see in place in order to return.

Contact the employees / volunteers and ask them what measures are needed for them to feel safe returning to work.

And as I mentioned earlier, be looking into what it will take to offer truly contactless ticketing. So many tourist railroads require online ticket purchases to still “check in” at the ticket booth before boarding the train - that step needs to be eliminated.

Gift Shop? Perhaps online orders could also be made so popular souvenirs can still be purchased if your guests don’t want to browse a gift shop.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:28 pm 

In our industry, there are many jobs that fit with "Social Distancing." Trackwork often is an individual effort, brush clearing, weed eating, and even some track maintenance is for small (2 or 4 ) teams, who can oftentime maintain the 6 foot distance even when doing a team job (one guy on each end of tie, for example, are "properly distanced."). Engine maintenance or inspection is often times lonely work. (example, measuring boiler shell thickness); a machinist is often working alone (and many prefer not being distracted by others around!).
I know I have been working on my house during some of this time and have gotten quite a bit done, although soon I will have to hang a large window, and that will require others around. Since it's my home, no one has told me I can't work on it!
Now, as far as having start of work safety meetings, um well, I suppose if the seating is 6 feet away and the group is small 10 to 25?? it could be done.
Even if we can't have the public around, it would seem very opportune to catch up on the stuff that never seems to get done.
But what do I know????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:05 pm 

Quote:
Is anyone here planning on using their contact list to query these individuals as part of an informed re-opening plan or is there just too much gloom and doom to think of how in the world anyone should contemplate a plan to re-open?

At work, I started a conversation with colleagues in other theatres and the state agencies in Delaware. The idea was to get started NOW before we get to stage one of starting over.

Here is a link to the Opening Up America Guidelines. Of interest is that Phase 1 is limited to 10 people with Social Distancing which increases to 50 in Phase II.

My question I asked in Delaware for theatres, and this could also be applied to museums and tourist railways, is how is the 50 defined? In the case for RyPN readers, as an example, does 50 include everyone on site? Or is the limit applied to visitors, or visitors plus crew on a streetcar or train ride? The definition of "10" and "50" would be helpful to define sooner than later.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 pm 

Has anyone asked the "A" (age) question?

I suspect that in many museums, a significant proportion of their volunteers is over age 60, which seems to be a magic number in these discussions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 pm 

Most volunteers, everywhere, are usually over, or at least near, 60. It's the nature of the thing. We all talk about getting younger volunteers, but most folks that are younger don't have the time to devote.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:07 pm 

David Dewey wrote:
Most volunteers, everywhere, are usually over, or at least near, 60. It's the nature of the thing. We all talk about getting younger volunteers, but most folks that are younger don't have the time to devote.

I know. Except for 2-3 in their early 20's, nobody in my shop crew is under 60 (I'm 76).

All the instructions for shelter-in-place specifically ask people over 60 to stay home, what's going to happen when we say we want to open (even if we don't admit visitors)?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:19 pm 

What if we lie about our age?? Is anyone going to "card" us??
The age factor is a great question. I know folks younger than I who are more at risk than I am. Some folks don't "age well."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 pm 

David Dewey wrote:

While slightly off topic... I’ve seen many young volunteers at Illinois Railway Museum and Nevada State RR museum. Also with the 765 group.

I’ve seen lots of young employees working in the shop and engine crew at TVRM, Strasburg, Durango, Henry Ford, etc. as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I've been made aware over the weekend of a couple places--rail preservation and not--that have already been "proactive" towards reopening one way or another. I'm not naming them here because at least a couple are explicitly violating (increasingly challenged) "executive orders" or whatnot. Even working at night, in one case.

There are a few mavericks out there that are saying "screw the commandments; I'm going in the wood shop BY MYSELF and finishing cutting the woodwork for that car restoration!" or the like. From what I'm told, only ONE person is "allowed" in each building or section at a time/shift. They check in and out via cellphone, security gate, or whatever.

I know in one case one guy has bee re-plumbing bathrooms. Another is stripping and refinishing a Visitors Center floor. One place moved up a renovation job to work in the (closed) facility covertly because he wasn't "allowed" to finish the job he was supposed to be doing in a government building--in spite of it being vacant! (And some donor is paying him under the table, to be reimbursed when the board gets to meet again.)

It MAY be too late to launch any "big" plans at this stage, but if we get to a point where you're "open but not yet really open," figure out what can be productively done in the meantime! Open-air car? Speeders? A "social-distancing" track gang? Hire local performers to "Feed the Starving Artists!"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:59 pm 

Open-air cars may be the way to go as it is generally accepted that the Covid-19 virus doesn't have longevity in the great outdoors. I work at a job that puts me through a number of hospital facilities and without going into a lot of specifics the rooms used to treat infected patients are either vented straight outside or through HEPA filtration and UV arrays within large AHU's. The problem in particular with enclosed and air-conditioned cars is a total lack of air exchanges.

To the point that most volunteers are beyond 60 years young, we have a problem making sure that they can feel and be safe moving forward. Think of it this way the Grands may not want to bring the grandkids out if they are to "cooped up." Packing 'em in for Thomas may not be an option for a while and maybe this fall Santa is even going to be a little apprehensive of visiting that "North Pole" train.

Lots to consider as we begin to see things start back up and hopefully, we can all have an informed and civilized discussion on how the RYPN and HRA families can work together to come up with solutions to promote the health not just of the visitors and volunteers but the operations themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:12 am 

The state of Ohio rolled out its reopening plan on Monday, April 27. It follows the federal reopening guidelines in scope, but does have several differences. What is useful is that it is very detailed on what businesses, that are currently allowed to reopen, need to do in order to reopen. It also has highly recommended actions that should be employed. It is well written and allows easy comprehension. Granted this document only applies to Ohio, but could be a suggested practices guide for other organizations to think about until their states issue similar documents.
https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/responsible-restart-ohio/

On a lighter note. Everyday at 2 pm the Governor, Lt. Governor, Ohio Health Director and various video conference guests offer a press briefing. It is aired on many Ohio TV stations live. That prompted an Ohio animator to create a spoof animation based on these briefings. The spoof is based on the old sitcom Laverne and Shirley show opening. It is something that needs to be watched several times to catch ALL the nuances. Also it helps to have seen the press briefings and be a Buckeye to catch all of them. Enjoy and have a good laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awc0blNamSo

Finally the Facebook page of the Museum usually shows pictures of work underway at the museum. With a statewide Stay at Home order since March 23rd, there hasn't been anything to show. So some Covid-19 related images were created. Here are 3 images that have run so far.

Steve Heister
Northern Ohio Railway Museum

Attachments:
covid19 norm barn 750.jpg
covid19 norm barn 750.jpg [ 188.95 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]
covid19 switchstand ohio stay home logo 750.jpg
covid19 switchstand ohio stay home logo 750.jpg [ 186.99 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]
covid19 1225 ohio stay home logo 750.jpg
covid19 1225 ohio stay home logo 750.jpg [ 151.64 KiB | Viewed 6085 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:08 pm 

Friends of C&TS have announced the C&TS reopening schedule:

June 13 - September 11: Six Trains a Week
Westbound departures from Antonito
Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays
Eastbound departures from Chama
Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays

September 12 - October 18: Fourteen Trains a Week
Daily departures from Chama & Antonito
See the Fall Colors!

Social Distancing Practices
Passenger Limits
Coach Cars: 12 people/car
Premium Cars: 10 people/car
Osier Changes
* No salad bar. Single serve salads will be available
* Fountain drink dispenser to be installed
More details can be found at

www.cumbrestoltec.com

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:18 pm 

Old Pueblo Trolley has not made any decisions regarding reopening our facilities to our volunteers, much less reopening for the public. We are waiting for information from the state as to whether the Remain At Home order issued by the Governor will expire, be extended as is or modified. It is set to expire tomorrow and no one has heard anything from the Governor’s office that indicates what the decision will be. The chambers of commerce in the Phoenix metro area gave a presentation to the governor proposing reopening of businesses in phases. Their proposal suggests that the earliest that businesses would be able to reopen under the first phase won’t be until May 15 at the earliest, as they believe that reopening any earlier might negate the success most of the state has had in slowing the transmission of the virus. They want to see a couple of more weeks of data from the state health department before advising members on reopening.

The revenue for Southern Arizona Transportation Museum is essentially entirely event based. When we are able to reopen, their management will need to figure out what operations they can carry on with the money on hand, since any sizable events probably won’t return until late in the year, if not next year. Our outreach program will also take a hit, as some or all of the car shows that we would normally send a bus to may be cancelled. With certain parts of the state still under mandatory lockdown and the virus still rapidly spreading, I suspect that some museums here may not reopen this year. The virus has hit the Navajo Nation so severely that they have been enforcing mandatory daily curfews and total lockdowns on the weekends for the last three weeks. The lockdown starts at 8PM Friday evening and ends on Monday at 5AM. Police checkpoints are set outside every village and roving patrols are stopping any motorists found on the road during the curfew and lockdown hours. Violators are cited and subject to a $1,000 fine and/or thirty days in jail. So far, over 250 citations have been issued.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:05 am 

Want some ideas on what to do for your guests when they reopen? The Seashore Trolley Museum posted this a few hours ago, perhaps there are a few ideas you can use for your organization:

#BreakingNews! Seashore Trolley Museum is re-opening in May and will be offering outdoor recreational activities to Maine Residents on May 16, 17, 23, 24, 30 and 31! Ticket sales will go live on May 8th at 10AM for the following four experiences:

Private Charter Trolley Rides. Family and friend groups of up to 5 may reserve a trolley ride and guided tour. Trolleys will be operated by a motorman and conductor following the Maine COVID-19 Prevention Checklist for Guided Outdoor Activities. This experience will last approximately two hours.

The “Be a Motorman” Experience. Have you ever wondered how exciting it would be to operate a trolley? Now’s your chance! Reserve your 1-hour Be A Motorman (BAM) and learn how to drive a trolley 1:1 with a trained Seashore motorman, following the Maine COVID-19 Prevention Checklist for Guided Outdoor Activities.

Docent-Guided Tours. Family and friend groups of up to 5 may reserve a 1-hour or 2-hour guided tour with one of our energetic and knowledgeable docents! Docents will follow the Maine COVID-19 Prevention Checklist for Guided Outdoor Activities.

Self-Guided Tours. Looking for a low-cost way to experience Seashore Trolley Museum? Purchase tickets at $5/person (children two and under are free) and take a self-guided tour around our campus at your own pace. A pamphlet will be available to guide your experience.

When online and phone ticket sales go live on May 8th at 10AM, Seashore Trolley Museum will publish the expectations we will have for ourselves and our guests who choose to visit our property during the pandemic. We ask that All Guests follow the general COVID-19 Prevention Checklist when visiting our property.

Tickets must be purchased in advance, and within 24 hours of an event/activity offering. This will help us best control the amount of people on campus at one time, as well as to schedule our staff and volunteers most effectively.

Ticketholders will have up to 24 hours in advance to change or cancel reservations at no charge. Following this timeline, tickets will be nonrefundable.

Seashore Trolley Museum has successfully completed Maine's State Checklist Compliance conditions in order to re-open during Stage 1 of the Plan to Restart Maine's Economy and will post our "badge" when one is available from the Department of Economic & Community Development.

Maine’s 14-day quarantine for out-of-state residents is still in effect, and at this time we will only be open to Maine residents. When this changes, we will gladly open our doors to all healthy members and guests. We miss you!

For questions, please contact our Executive Director at (207) 967-2800 x101 or director@trolleymuseum.org.

For the Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/neerhs/posts/10158584748017932

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:21 pm 

While the plan needs to be approved by our Board, the administrative team at the East Troy Railroad Museum agreed to re-open the railroad for regular train rides on May 29th. This will be after the end of Wisconsin's "shelter in place" order. We will certainly comply with any new or revised orders that are issued. The plan now is to use eticketing so that people do not need to buy tickets in the depot and we will scan their tickets so the conductor does not need to punch tickets. We will have lines on the pavement in the boarding areas and in the depot to keep people the proper distance away from each other. We will only operate cars that have windows that we can open, and we will keep our operators safe (we also have a lot of guys older than 60) by keeping the vestibule closed and off limits to anyone but the operator. All of our staff will be wearing masks and we will suggest that our visitors bring their own masks. We will make sure people spread out in the cars and will not allow the cars to be crowded with people.

We also plan to start operating our Dinner Trains in June. We have a capacity for 100 people but have decided to only sell 50 tickets for each train -- allowing us to skip every other table in the cars when seating people. All volunteers and food service staff will be screened for illness prior to being allowed to serve on the Dinner Trains.

Some volunteers will choose not to participate for understandable safety reasons and some guests will choose not to come out until they feel more comfortable. But our sense of things is that people are really WANTING to get out and do something. We will provide the safest environment that we can while allowing them to do so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next