It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amtrak Heritge Diner water piping schematic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:51 pm 

Hi all,

Working on an Amtrak Heritage Diner, #8524, to be returned to service. I have been through the RPCA Resource Library that has been a huge help. However, I am into the plumbing now and would benefit greatly from a piping diagram for the water system. RPCA has a doc that references that the drawings exist. I have fixed all major leaks from freeze damage. But I do not get any water through the hot water system. I think I have found all shutoffs and have them open. But there has to be one I haven't found. Additionally, water service to the coffee maker is dry. Has to be a valve somewhere I have not found.

Any help?

Thanks very much,

Dale Grice

Post subject: Re: Amtrak Heritge Diner water piping schematic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm 

I have a set of Amtrak Heritage Fleet maintenance manuals, and in them is a water system schematic for the Heritage diners. Give me a day or two to scan the page and figure out how to post it here.

It looks like the main hot water shut-off valve is above the hallway, near the water heater and cold water storage tank. Assume you have explored that area?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm 

Here is the schematic.

Attachments:
6-3-20 Diner water system.pdf [55.16 KiB]
Downloaded 467 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:22 pm 

Hi Topfuel,

Thanks very much for that. Answers a couple questions. But also adds an unknown. Now I have to go search for the overhead cold water storage tank in the hall. I think it has been removed from 8524. But not sure.

As info, I have cold water working. Coffee maker working. But nothing on the hot water system. Have verified cutoff valves are open. Have been felling temperature of pipe with my hand. I believe I have narrowed it down to the check on the output of the water heater. I have tapped it, OK, good smacks, and have gotten something that sounds like a little flow and a phist at a hot water spigot. My mix valve is now dripping with a leak.

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:59 pm 

Dale:

As information, that schematic is what these cars had as initially rebuilt from steam heat/DC circa 1979-81, when among other things the old kitchens were gutted and brand new kitchens installed. The diners all have had several major rebuilds since then, so it's always possible that what the cars have as sold in 2019 is somewhat different than what the schematic shows. And the SOU diners were among the last ones to get the initial rebuild circa 1984, so they may be slightly different as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am 

We too have a heritage diner we are working to restore to operation, so grateful for this schematic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:30 pm 

Topfuel,

Yes, there are differences. But it was still quite helpful. Thank you.

RxRGiftShop,

You've been to the RPCA resource page? A lot of info is there. Without the RPCA, I wouldn't be as close to operation as I am. The electrical info is immeasurable.

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:09 pm 

Many of those cars received new Temoinsa interiors in an early 2000s era rebuild (among others since 1980). I'm not sure if everything in that schematic is still correct for the modified versions.

Edit: 8524 does not appear to be a TM rebuild according to this list. So this doesn't apply to the OP's car, but may to the others listed as rebuilds if they are in preservation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:31 pm 

Dale, Sorry but I am not familiar...............where is the 8524 and who owns it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:32 pm 

The water schematic will be helpful when FWRHS gets into the 8511 Heritage Diner/ CBQ 194 with the TM conversion kit. It will be used behind NKP 765 in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:33 pm 

NKP779 wrote:
Dale, Sorry but I am not familiar...............where is the 8524 and who owns it?

#8524 Has entered Service on the Potomac Eagle out of Romney, WV

Attachments:
Diner 03AB.JPG
Diner 03AB.JPG [ 232.07 KiB | Viewed 4564 times ]