It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 pm 

NY City is a huge city on three islands, with five somewhat independent boroughs each of which is also a county.

GCT is spported by a passenger yard at Mott Haven, in the Bronx. Penn Station is supported by a passenger yard at Sunnyside, Queens.

There is little carload freight in NY City. What there is comes by CSX from Selkirk, near Albany or by carfloat from Greenville (Jersey City NJ) to Bayridge (Brooklyn) on the West or from Connecticut via the Hell Gate Bridge on the East.

Switchers were electric. NYC used its S-motors in GCT and PRR its B1 motors in NY Penn.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm 

djl wrote:
There where ever freight trains entrering the insland of Manhattan?

Yes, back in the day, the New York Central ran trains over the Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge and down the west side of Manhattan. There were lots of sidings and yards needed to service various industries. In later years the line was elevated on the south end. That part has been renovated into the Highline Park

https://www.thehighline.org/

Amtrak's West Side Connection uses the northern side of right of way to connect Penn Station to the Spuyten Duyvil bridge on the way to Albany, New York.

Brian Helfrich

An history overview:

https://www.thehighline.org/history/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm 

As late as the mid-Sixties there was substantial traffic via the River Line and the Spuyten Duyvil connection to the West Side line. There were at least two fairly long trains per day each way -- and I don't remember these operating at slow wpeed; the first FA I saw 'live' I saw pacing from a taxi and it was going a good percentage of what was then highway speed...

Very famous and serious wreck, head-on collision between northbound and southbound trains, in I think 1967 -- something likr six units on each train!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29