It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #27 acquired by WGN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:39 pm 

It has been on display at the Carlton County Fairgrounds in Barnum, MN since 1968: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... ocomotive/

Post subject: Re: Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #27 acquired by WGN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:39 pm 

They also acquired the NP caboose displayed with it. What's the number of that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 pm 

First of all, it's terrific that the Wisconsin Great Northern is getting D&NE #27 (DM&IR #348) along with the NP bay window caboose. Would be great if they eventually try to restore the Consolidaton to service, but a cosmetic restoration would also be welcome. One thing I noticed in the TRAINS story is that it appears that the 2-8-0 and caboose were offered to other museums and that the equipment was really in danger of being scrapped. This is the first I heard about the folks up there in Minnesota offering the equipment and I wonder where this "offer" appeared? Was it on the pages of RyPN? Somewhere else? Did some museums get contacted, say no, and then not let others in rail preservation know? The fact that the 2-8-0 and this rare caboose could have met the scrappers torch, gives me the "willies"!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The thing that is VERY important for ALL of us to remember:

Just because a museum has railroad rolling stock and artifacts DOES NOT make it a "railroad museum," and there is no guarantee that anyone in the museum's administration understands railroad preservation, understands the objects in the proper context of history and preservation, or even truly understands what the hell they have or WHY. This is particularly common for smaller local museums where the impetus to preserve the loco/caboose/depot/etc. was three generations ago, the "movers and shakers" who brought it/them there have long ago died, and the current membership focuses on genealogy and old photos/books. This is also particularly true for communities who have a steam locomotive in a park, fairground, etc. donated 60-80 years ago now.

Given MY experience with such museums and local societies across the nation, it is completely NOT surprising to me that such a museum didn't know of or find railroad museums or groups to reach out to. Rail museums and preservation groups usually operate in parallel universes to local history museums, much to my chagrin, and to be honest I too often find that even rail preservation groups too often are blissfully unaware of each other even when they share common general goals. We are too often the "nerds" that don't associate or "play well with others."

Instances like this are why it is imperative for railfan groups large and small to make their existence known to small non-rail museums like this, be it the local county historical society in a former rail depot or the city with a steam loco or caboose in the park. Offer interpretive help, or photos, or a repainting project. Give them reason to CARE about these relics, or someday we'll hear about another "unwanted" display, this time being scrapped with no notice.........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:24 am 

Well said ADM. The article on the 2-6-2 in Canada gives the impression that the BOD is clueless. It is a newspaper article, so much might of been left out. But the lack of reasoning sounds like what you are talking about.
Regards, John.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm 

Daylight25 wrote:
They also acquired the NP caboose displayed with it. What's the number of that?

I thought Northern Pacific mainly used cupola cabooses, are you sure it's ex-NP?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 pm 

NP 1500 series bay window cabooses were rebuilt from old wood box cars.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:08 pm 

jayrod wrote:

Here's a photo of one in regular service and in its Northern Pacific lettering:

www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2232393

Les

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
jayrod wrote:

Here's a photo of one in regular service and in its Northern Pacific lettering:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2232393

Les

Would be nice to see it stay under cover somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 am 

It was decided to separate the boiler and frame for transport: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -northern/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 am 

Greetings:
I find it ironic that a locomotive which has been under cover for decades is disposed of because it's building needs work.
However, metal buildings with wood frames do not last much beyond the guarantee they came with: Illinois Railway Museum spends a good deal on their 15(?) buildings every year replacing roof and side panels as well as renewing the bottoms of uprights and trusses.
If you can afford it, an all steel building on a concrete foundation will last far longer.
Pole barns might be the cheapest, however the per foot price on them has doubled in the last five years. The barn that will be built this year (Barn 15(?) will cost twice as much as the last big barn built at IRM.
J.David