It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PCC motors / GE1178 replacements
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 pm 

Disclaimer- I know NOTHING useful about electric motors. Indulge me, please.

Our museum has recently acquired an Edwards Railcar Model 10 body from a fairly local railroad, as well as a pair of PCC trucks (less motors, but otherwise complete). These trucks very closely resemble the inside-frame design of the early Edwards models.

With that being said, we are looking at the feasibility of rebuilding the car with either a truck engine/transmission, or maybe installing motors on the trucks and powering them with a generator.

Both options have their pros and cons, but we have a good handle on the automotive solution...

So that being said, does anyone have any sources/approximate costs/information on the GE1178? Any ideas on replacing them with something else, preferably less than 600V?
Only need to generate between 60-100HP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas as we explore the feasibility.

Matt Bumgarner
Alexander Chapter-NRHS
SE Narrow Gauge & Shortline Museum

Post subject: Re: PCC motors / GE1178 replacements
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:50 pm 

Matt Bumgarner wrote:
Disclaimer- I know NOTHING useful about electric motors. Indulge me, please.

So that being said, does anyone have any sources/approximate costs/information on the GE1178? Any ideas on replacing them with something else, preferably less than 600V?
Only need to generate between 60-100HP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas as we explore the feasibility.

By any chance, do you mean GE1198? That was one of two standard GE motors for PCCs, the other being the GE1220. A WH1432 will also fit.

My recommendation is to go the automotive/truck route with a mechanical transmission. You will find a lot more vendors who are familiar with that. Since you are going to have an infernal combustion engine on the vehicle anyway, why go through the exercise of coupling it to a generator, building a field excitation control for the generator, and finding a pair of electric motors? Plus, the elephant in the room is: how do you plan on stopping the thing?

By the way, PCC motors are 300V and when used on a typical 600V trolley system, the motors in each truck are wired permanently in series.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 am 

I think I may be able to help you with this. Drop me a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:49 am 

Probably your best bet on contacting someone very familiar with the Edwards Railcars would be Steve Torrico now at the Star Farm in PA. He's also on Facebook. He had restored several Edwards cars back in the Early 2000s and also had plans to fabricate new ones.
Fred Heilich