It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A really obscure EMD 567 engine question received
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:22 am 

Question: Did Electro-Motive build any 4 cylinder versions of the 567 series diesel engines?

Answer: Yes they did. A very small number of four-cylinder 567 series engines were constructed. As far as I know these engines were only used in one type of commercial installation, as night engines (operating in low demand periods) in a diesel power plant that otherwise generated power with larger EMD engines.

A four cylinder 567 engine would normally not be a viable engine in other industries. It costs too much to build this engine for the limited power output. The one application where it makes sense is in a diesel power generating plant on an island or in a very remote area, where this engine would be using the same type of cylinder power assemblies as the larger engines, thus making replacement parts fully interchangeable between all engines in the plant. In any other scenario, a smaller Detroit Diesel engine would have been a more economical choice.

PC

Post subject: Re: A really obscure EMD 567 engine question received
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:15 pm 

So four cylinder EMD prime movers exist? Interesting... On the 567, what sort of power output are we talking about here? The V6 in an SW1 only put out 600 horsepower, so I'd imagine a good amount less than that...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:55 am 

The nominal power output might 'scale', as in this service the engine would not be loaded until it reached synchronous speed, probably somewhere in the range of 725rpm as for engines supplying HEP from the traction alternator, and the actual horsepower developed by the engine would then be regulated by the governor action keeping the engine at that speed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:34 pm 

Yes, for power generating service you have to operate at synchronous speed, and the governor manages the fuel rack to maintain the engine at that constant speed (from no load up to the limit of its power generating capability). If the load gets to be too much for a single engine, you can start another engine, synchronize with the first one, and have both share the load. Or you can break up the load if your circuits allow, carrying part on one engine and part on another engine.

For a powering a 60-cycle (per second) AC power system an alternator with 10 poles generates five cycles per crankshaft revolution. So to produce 60-cycle power with a 10 pole alternator you need the diesel engine to turn the alternator 12 revolutions every second (12 X 5 = 60). An engine speed of 720 RPM provides 12 crankshaft revolutions per second.

A four cylinder 567 would produce about 400 HP at 720 RPM in power generating service. This is right in the middle of the ratings range for a much less expensive Detroit Diesel 12V-71 engine.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:57 pm 

Preston,

Were these 4-cylinder 567's V-block or inline? If inline, were they the only inline 567's?

Interestingly the 567's little cousins, the 71-series, were exclusively inline until the late 1950's when they needed the 8V71 to power Greyhound's Scenicruisers.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:19 pm 

When I lived in the Houston area in 1986 I saw one of those being hauled via Flatbed truck. it appeared to be for oilfield service.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:09 pm 

The four-cylinder 567s are conventional EMD 45-degree Vee configuration.

The blowers used on the four-cylinder engines are two of the very small blowers used as singles on the two-cylinder version of the engine. The six-cylinder EMD engines use the full size blower as applied to the eight, twelve, and sixteen cylinder engines.

PC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:29 pm 

That answers that question. I always wondered what the 2 cylinder used for scavenging, as all the photos I have seen were from the other side of the block.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:49 am 

If I ever get a look at a parts book for either the 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder engine, I want to see if the roots blower rotors have EMD part numbers ir if they were sourced from Detroit Diesel or Cleveland Diesel.

PC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:45 pm 

I would think that those would be about as rare as hens teeth! But, I do have an email to send that might open some doors up..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:24 pm 

PCook wrote:
If I ever get a look at a parts book for either the 2-cylinder or 4-cylinder engine, I want to see if the roots blower rotors have EMD part numbers ir if they were sourced from Detroit Diesel or Cleveland Diesel.

PC

I would just be happy to see some photos of one. I LOVE oddball engines. I fell in love with a Detroit Diesel two cylinder stationary generator I saw at a gas engine show a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:40 pm 

Lima Superpower wrote:
PCook wrote:

PC

I would just be happy to see some photos of one. I LOVE oddball engines. I fell in love with a Detroit Diesel two cylinder stationary generator I saw at a gas engine show a few years ago.

The single cylinder ones are even cooler!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:29 pm 

Here's a restored 1-71 running. Were these the only production single cylinder Detroits, or did they ever make a 1-51 or a 1-53?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha26UveTfvM

My favourite oddball Jimmy has a few more cylinders and twin turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrg3cFod7Q

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:20 am 

SD70dude wrote:
My favourite oddball Jimmy has a few more cylinders and twin turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrg3cFod7Q

Holy crap that sounds wicked, but you’d have to be insane to stand there without hearing protection.