It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: alternate power
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:24 am 

I've seen many badly run private enterprises fail too..... and if you think guys who figure taxes can deal with other than financial aspects of running a good whorehouse, you must know more colorful ones than I do.

But, back to the program: if the point is that we're seeing a less than mature technology in development I agree. I'm reading every day about interesting new developments in energy storage technology, be it ways to pile up electrons so they want to run towards where they aren't, phase change, reactions between chemicals, whatever - all of which could get us into a more economic and sustainable way to power many different kinds of things that need to be powered.

We're also living in a world designed for energy intensive distribution systems which we can't give up for good and practical reasons or change overnight.

So, until it's developed to a much higher level to be practical in this reality, if I were to need to buy a new car I'd go hybrid rather than all electric since there's so much in the works yet to be developed and proven reliable and robust. But, I can keep my 18 year old Impreza with battlescars down the right side running reliably for much less than replacing it with any new car. tempering this with personal choices, like choosing then location of my retirement home (recycled from a 1935 build and downsized as well) within easy for old guys walking distance of the Town Center shopping and transit hub in Brentwood, Pittsburgh, PA where, if you are over 65, you get a free annual transit pass. I'll live better cheaper there than in suburban Charlotte, and not have to worry about finding a place to park when going dahntahn. My clunker could be my last car even if we see fast and dramatic change in EV technology for nothing but economic reasons and less need for daily use.

Better life, less cost, more sustainable on a blue collar retiree's income.

Maybe looking outside the box of "powering motor vehicles" could work for people besides me as well?

Overmod knows way more about the technological specifics than I do, I bow to his expertise in these matters (and many others).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9