It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NCTM rolling stock planning update.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:33 am 

One of of NCTM&F's jobs for this year is to update our rolling stock plan. This is a two-fold effort as it is aimed at planning for both stationary, non-operational equipment for the museum side and for operational equipment on the rail ride.

Kurt Bell got so many good ideas last fall when he asked for suggestions for RRMofPa. that I thought I'd toss the idea out to rypn readers.

We're be looking at existing rolling stock--its use and future use. We'll be looking at rolling stock that should be acquired.

I'll pass along ideas to our rolling stock advisory committee. Thanks in advance! Jim

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: NCTM rolling stock planning update.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:59 am 

Jim,

On the diesel locomotive side, the museum is heavily EMD and Class 1 (wonderful items, of course). It's partly personal bias, but an (operating?!) Alco from a NC shortline-such as the Alexander RR-would provide a bit of diversity. True, I"m also an Alco-haulic, but food for thought.

Steam and freight/passenger: if anything were to be found from the narrow-gauge Lawndale Railroad, that would seem worthy of inclusion-from both a railfan and non-railfan perspective (hey, this museum isn't just for us!). Also, since NC had a logging railroad history, that should merit some further attention (the dismantled loco in Swan Quarter?!).

jcpdeke@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:11 pm 

Some time ago (in a Trains essay) I mentioned the NCTM as an obvious home for an Amtrak F40PH. I trust that it is already an active project for your group.

Is it too late for you to beg NS for a former SR or N&W U-Boat? If so, can you troll among the secondary owners?

Other than that, it seems you have done all too well in railroading, even going so far as to rescue the Hampton & Branchville Edwards doodlebug (a real prize indeed). Might you want to refocus on other transport--maritime, lighthouses, trolleys, NC-built autos, etc.--just for some more balance?

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:36 pm 

> One of of NCTM&F's jobs for this year is
> to update our rolling stock plan. This is a
> two-fold effort as it is aimed at planning
> for both stationary, non-operational
> equipment for the museum side and for
> operational equipment on the rail ride.

> Kurt Bell got so many good ideas last fall
> when he asked for suggestions for RRMofPa.
> that I thought I'd toss the idea out to rypn
> readers.

> We're be looking at existing rolling
> stock--its use and future use. We'll be
> looking at rolling stock that should be
> acquired.

> I'll pass along ideas to our rolling stock
> advisory committee. Thanks in advance! Jim
I think you need something to represent modern steam.How about the Frisco 4-8-4 that is for sale in Tulsa,Ok made into a replica of a gray and black Atlantic Coast Line R1? Or the C&O 2716 at Kentucky Railway Museum back in it's Southern Railway disguise,after all it is a part of Southern Railway history just as Royal Hudson 2839 is at the Nethercutt museum in California. Maybe they might decide trains don't fit in their collection after all.

WINK638@aol.com

Post subject: CP 2839
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:58 pm 

From what I found on the net looks like 2839 will be staying at the CA museum for awhile to come. They're even expanding their railroad collection.

Joshua

joshua@joshuakblay.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:56 pm 

I have heard legends about a 4-4-0 that is buried under a highway intersection somewhere near Sanford. Perhaps state DOT has better info - it would certainly be most interesting. On less firm groung the phantom Shay from Slaty Switchback on Graybeard Mountain........

The future for 604 is worth some reconsideration. Might it be surplus if a "real" Southern engine is returned to steam? Given the yard trackage, and its current physical condition, I might suggest moving the Bonsal 0-6-0 to the use collection and making it your everyday power.

Cliffside 2-6-2 110 from Stone Mountain might be worth repatriating. Maybe the Smithsonian will turn loose of old Salisbury girl 1401.

Are there enough native examples of coaches to return the Reading and Joisey Central cars to their native lands?

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:57 pm 

A Dewey Brothers locomotive or replica.

staybolt@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:59 pm 

> I have heard legends about a 4-4-0 that is
> buried under a highway intersection
> somewhere near Sanford.

I thought the buried loco was in Garysburg at highway 301 ? Or is that a different one...

Bill

staybolt@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Forgot about P&N!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:03 pm 

It could be a reasonable idea to try to position NCTM as a recipient of the P&N equipment now privately owned at Greenwood, SC. The boxcab you have is nice but an interurban car would be very cool.

I think the remains of the Belmont - Gastonia double truck car are still inside a mound of Kudzu behind a machine shop in Gastonia, but it is a city car, and you have a NC built Perley Thomas Nawlins example on hand.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:05 pm 

Same engine different legand. I like your definite info better than my undefined rumors.

Get out the backhoe and we can check it out for sure.

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Re: Forgot about P&N!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:37 pm 

I think I'd be looking for shortline 44-ton and 70-ton GE's, a butthead switcher by EMD or Alco, a Jim Crow coach, a Lawndale boxcar if one still exists, a pulpwood rack, some logs cars and anything left in the way of wooden, composite or early steel freight cars in order to assemble a typical mid-20th century freight train.

K4s1361@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:39 pm 

Ex-Cliffside 1925 Baldwin 2-8-0 No. 40 operating at New Hope and Ivyland would be a gem. Why not trade "Old Slobberface" to the NH&I in return for No. 40? Operating engine trade for operating engine...hmmm, it might have possibilities.

Also, perhaps Iron Dave can repatriate sister ex-Cliffside No. 110 back to North Carolina. He seems to have connections in tho' south lands:)

> One of of NCTM&F's jobs for this year is
> to update our rolling stock plan. This is a
> two-fold effort as it is aimed at planning
> for both stationary, non-operational
> equipment for the museum side and for
> operational equipment on the rail ride.

> Kurt Bell got so many good ideas last fall
> when he asked for suggestions for RRMofPa.
> that I thought I'd toss the idea out to rypn
> readers.

> We're be looking at existing rolling
> stock--its use and future use. We'll be
> looking at rolling stock that should be
> acquired.

> I'll pass along ideas to our rolling stock
> advisory committee. Thanks in advance! Jim

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Re: Forgot about P&N!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:45 pm 

> I think I'd be looking for shortline 44-ton
> and 70-ton GE's, a butthead switcher by EMD
> or Alco, a Jim Crow coach, a Lawndale boxcar
> if one still exists, a pulpwood rack, some
> logs cars and anything left in the way of
> wooden, composite or early steel freight
> cars in order to assemble a typical mid-20th
> century freight train.
I am sure there are some Laurenburg and Southern Alco switchers around and possibly a 70 tonner or two still in the line at Laurenburg. They also have 2 critters, one running and one lost at the end of a track in the trees last I heard. I think all of these are now owned by Johnson Locomotive.
There is a home built sidedoor caboose on the A&R as well as GP-7 205 that should go to Spencer some day not to mention the 37 Chevy on rail wheels.
Also in Sanford, NC is a 2-8-0 off the Atlantic and Western and originally I think the Norfolk Southern. If it becomes available Spencer is the logical choice for a new home.

jhbohon@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:24 am 

An all Cliffside doubleheader sounds great to me Kurt, but it will take more power than I can generate to get 110 loose from the State of Georgia parks system. If it is a defined priority for NCTM, I would suggest we have the governor call the governor and find some common ground.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Long Term Wish List
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:15 am 

Jim,

In the steam department, I think a long term wishlist and close-eye on serval engines up north here would be worthy. You might not get them for 20 years, but someday...

As already mentioned... NH&I #40
Aberdeen & Rockfish/Valley RR #40
Southern/Joe Supor #385

All of these have good homes right now. Perhaps when their running days are over, you will have a stall for them all spruced up and waiting...

Of course, I would be remiss to not mention the Lynchburg 2-8-4. Also, the NH&I has the Army/BR 0-6-0. She'd make a neat display in her Army dress.

Since you already have a Russian Decapod, I will make my pitch again for a museum to develop a USRA display that truly tells the story (with examples) of the USRA. Isn't there a USRA L&N 0-8-0 still around? Perhaps *any* USRA design engine, your 2-10-0 and a few USRA design frieght cars could tell the story. The USRA designs would be a nice interpretive display to transition from steam to deisel and show how standardization between roads was introduced.

Passenger stock...

Again, a long term wish list, but I think you guys would benefit from a portion of your display featuring famous passenger trains of your region (much like the Cranbrook museum does for Canada). There are enough pieces of ACL and SCL streamliners around, and you already have a pretty EMD to put up front. Even a 5-car interpretive streamliner would be a great display to show what Florida-NY service via NC was all about.

Of course, the compliment to that would be an all-heavyweight collection for comparison. Again, the cars are out there. Steve Z. could probably name them all.

I also strongly agree that a first-generation Amtrak train should be an integral part of the display. An F-40 (no Pooches left, huh?), an Amfleet car and a few heritage cars could tell the story well.

Also, again to show the FLA-NY market service, one of the original Auto-Train auto racks would be tremdous.

Anyway, these are the thoughts off the top of my head...

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com