It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fireless Steam Locomotives in preservation?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:45 pm 

> The problem is that for a fireless to properly operate, it needs to be filled with superheated water and steam at
> high pressure from an industrial boiler (600 or more PSI), and almost no one saves such a big boiler along
> with the steamer!

That is not exactly true. Having owned a 1930 Porter fireless, which we ran on air, it was designed to be charged with steam to 150psi and then could operate nearly half a day before needing a new charge. Compressed air locomotives generally ran at very high pressures, not the classic fireless steam locomotive.

Bottom line is I know of two Porter fireless engines that were operable on air up until about 10 years ago when I lost track of them. Whippany Rwy Museum has a nice one, but not operational. Many are preserved for display.

Based on my experience, they would be a tad easier to restore than a conventional steam locomotive in part due to there being less grit in the works versus a locomotive buring coal. Beyond that they tend to be a bit simpler in design.

J.R. May

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:24 pm 

This is one of only 2 true fireless locomotives in Canada, both of which are in Ontario. This one is very unique, built by Porter in July 1943, and is 30" gauge with a "low" clearance cab. It is far from operational, and we have no intention of trying to put any air to it. It is strictly a display item only at the Niagara Railway Museum in Fort Erie.

Attachments:
File comment: 30" gauge Porter
porterbeforesm.jpg
porterbeforesm.jpg [ 116.56 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:34 pm 

Ken Jones wrote:
This is one of only 2 true fireless locomotives in Canada, both of which are in Ontario. This one is very unique, built by Porter in July 1943, and is 30" gauge with a "low" clearance cab. It is far from operational, and we have no intention of trying to put any air to it. It is strictly a display item only at the Niagara Railway Museum in Fort Erie.

The only other one is Algoma Steel Co. No. 67 in Sault Ste Marie right?
Attachment:
ac.JPG
ac.JPG [ 164.71 KiB | Viewed 1290 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:49 pm 

Not operational but a Porter Fireless at IRM.

https://www.irm.org/player/ue4/?roster_type=

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:44 pm 

patentable wrote:
Not operational but a Porter Fireless at IRM.

https://www.irm.org/player/ue4/?roster_type=

I'm sure I've seen her and didn't take note. The ones I remember seeing are at the B&O Museum, RR Museum of Pennsylvania, and the 2 at the Carillon Park in Dayton.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:41 pm 

The only other one is Algoma Steel Co. No. 67 in Sault Ste Marie right?
Attachment:
ac.JPG
[/quote]

Yeah, that's, ummm, that's the one. How recent is that pic? I knew how it was painted, but wow, that garden really hides it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:38 pm 

Quote:
Incidentally, a fireless caveat: While a fireless lacks a crosn sheet or staybolts to pop, a charged boiler is PRECISELY as dangerous as a fired boiler for rocket effect if the pressure is relieved in an accident. All the water will tend to evolve steam, as in a BLEVE, if the pressure is quickly relieved, producing radial acceleration that can force water up around the curve of the boiler to meet at the top with the equivalent of Thor's own water hammer. So do not be complacent and think that a fireless is a cute little engine running on hot water.

Correct, a charged fireless pressure vessel on a locomotive is just as dangerous if it fails as a traditional "steam locomotive". But there are no internal surfaces exposed to "red hot" temperatures (over ~1500 degrees F) like a crownsheet.

The late model Porter (ca 1945) at a RR museum in upstate NY has a hefty "check valve" in the inlet flange where external steam enters the vessel. If the steam supply "hose" (typically a number of pipe sections with flex joints) was to break while charging the loco the check valve would contain all the hot water / thermal energy inside the pressure vessel.

The "Charging Plug" on the bottom of the "tank" also had a threaded flange where a "necked down" pipe nipple was attached to the tank.

Apparent purpose of this "sacrificial pipe nipple" was to shear off if the loco was moved while still connected to the "live steam" charging source. With a "shear nipple" and a check valve the setup was protected from the worst case where a loco driver forgot that the loco was hooked to a live steam source with a hose/pipe connection and just "drove away".

Like a shear pin/key in a snowblower/lawnmower that gives it's live to save the rest of the machine.

Cheers, Kevin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:08 pm 

Ken Jones wrote:
Yeah, that's, ummm, that's the one. How recent is that pic? I knew how it was painted, but wow, that garden really hides it a lot.

I took that in July 2019. It was definitely difficult to properly photograph.

Here's another angle:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5167525

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:55 am 

There's a fireless down the yard in Wolsztyn, Poland. Only one I've ever seen since I don't think there were any used in Australia.