It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help With Equipment disposition for PA Shortlines
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:22 pm 

Hello, I'm looking for more dispositions of various pieces of rolling stock from multiple railroads in the state of Pennsylvania. I'll list them below along with any additional information I have about them.

Gettysburg

#5; Ex-Pennsylvania Railroad N6 Caboose
#6; Ex-Pennsylvania Railroad N6 Caboose
#505; Ex-Reading coach
#2562; Ex-New York Central Budd
#14014 [479701]; Ex-Pennsylvania Railroad N5 caboose
Note - Looking for all of Sloan Cornell's Non-converted PRR N6's

Quakertown & Eastern

#1295; Ex-Reading Coach
#1296; Ex-Reading Coach
#1328; Ex-Reading Coach
#1527; Ex-Reading Coach
Notes - There were 8 Reading coaches at Q&E to my knowledge, five ended up at NCTM and three went to PP&L then NRM in Green Bay, WI. I haven't been able to find the numbers of half of them. I emailed both museums about them, and NCTM said that they have #1297, #1298, and #1299. I also know that the Reading Coach used currently at NRM is #1290. An issue I have found is that #1297 doesn't appear on any source of Q&E equipment. Was this car renumbered at some point?

West Shore/Lewisburg & Buffalo Creek

3x Ex-DL&W EMU trailers(?)
1x Coach/Diner(?)
1x Ex-Reading Baggage Car
Notes - I know the Ex-DL&W cars and the Coach/Diner ended up on the North Shore System, but I don't know the original numbers for any of them.

Magee Transportation Museum

Vulcan Locomotive?
Note - This is the Vulcan now at the RRMPA. I know it was owned by Ed Blossom, but only one source states it was at MTM. Could anyone please confirm or deny?

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can give, and I thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Need Help With Equipment disposition for PA Shortlines
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:20 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Corey Page wrote:
West Shore/Lewisburg & Buffalo Creek

3x Ex-DL&W EMU trailers(?)
1x Coach/Diner(?)
1x Ex-Reading Baggage Car
Notes - I know the Ex-DL&W cars and the Coach/Diner ended up on the North Shore System, but I don't know the original numbers for any of them.

The cars in question MAY be on the North Shore system out of Northumberland, but they were acquired by an individual then affiliated with the NSHR. They remain his private property, and are occasionally used for Santa Trains and other special events by the NSHR.

The "coach-diner" in question was a former CNJ car that had ended up on the Adirondack RR's Lake Placid Olympics trains in 1980, if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:11 am 

Gettysburg 505 - This car became the "Pioneer Crusader" and is now part of a restaurant in Loveland, Ohio.
https://www.jeffsphotographyllc.com/Excursion-Trains/Gettysburg-Scenic-Railroad/i-rNH3TfP/A
https://tbott.home.blog/2020/11/02/the-works-firehouse-pizza-loveland/

Quakertown & Eastern - I visited the defunct Southwest Virginia Railway in 1976. The 1295 was there, as was the 1527, which was converted to an open platform observation car. I believe at least three Q&E/SVR/NCTM cars went to the Three Rivers Rambler in Knoxville, but I don't have car numbers.

West Shore - can't help you with car numbers but can confirm the dining car is a heavily modified CNJ coach. A postcard view says the car was built in 1915 which seems unlikely, but if true, would make it probably the oldest surviving CNJ steel coach, from the early 800-series cars.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:22 pm 

This what I have been able to figure out for the Quakertown & Eastern cars that made it to NCTM.

RDG 1292 - scrapped at Spencer????
RDG 1527 - renumbered to NCMX 1297
RDG 1295 - renumbered to NCMX 1298
RDG 1299 - NCMX 1299
RDG 1715 - went to RCHTS?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:44 pm 

The RDG 1715 is presently in Hamburg, PA in the outdoor display yard of the RCT&HS museum.

The Three Rivers Rambler of Knoxville, TN has an open air car which appears to have been converted from a former RDG suburban coach, marked as KXHR 1292. Haven’t been able to find out much about its history yet but could this perhaps be the RDG 1292?

This operation also has several former RDG MU cars that they use for coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:42 pm 

Thanks to all for the help. Here's what I've been able to figure out for the Q&E's rolling stock:

#300; CNJ Combine. At Santa Fe Southern (Sky Railway)
#1290; RDG Coach. To PP&L, then National Railroad Museum, named "Josephine".
#1292; RDG Coach. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, then NCTM. Converted to open air car, went to Three Rivers Rambler.
#1295; RDG Coach. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, then NCTM. Scrapped.
#1296; RDG Coach. To PP&L, then National Railroad Museum.
#1298; RDG Coach. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, then NCTM.
#1299; RDG Coach. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, then NCTM.
#1328; RDG Coach. To PP&L, then National Railroad Museum.
#1527; RDG Coach. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, added open observation platform. Then went to NCTM. Renumbered at some point to #1297
#1715; RDG Baggage. To Southwest Virginia Scenic, then NCTM. After that it went to RCT&HS in Hamburg, PA.
#9935; PRSL P70 Coach. Leased to Q&E by David York.

Alan Maples - I can only find one ex-Q&E car at Three Rivers Rambler. That car being #1292. The rest of their ex-Reading cars appear to be EMUs or EMU Trailers. However, I could be missing something. I greatly appreciate your help.

I hope to hear from some more people on the whereabouts of the remaining cars on my list. I'm very appreciative for all the help that I've gotten so far and any help I receive in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:15 am 

The former PRSL 9935 is one of the P70’s currently stored on the Cape May Seashore Lines at Tuckahoe, NJ. For the last several years, it has been in the line of coaches parked on the Cape May Branch across the road from the station, in an area not accessible to the general public.