It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CNR 1533 awaits a small miracle.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:37 pm 

I’ll try this a second time. Hopefully it only posts once.
In what world? The NH&I world of the time. Remember, Lima 0-6-0 #7 was scrapped there in 1976. It is a sad, sordid history.
Mr King, you are clearly very knowledgeable about many things steam and I respect your knowledge and experience. But there is unpleasant history up in New Hope, PA. It’s just the facts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:48 pm 

The travesty with #7 was 50 years ago and I have pictures of her on the dead line. You have to let it go and concentrate on the good that is happening elsewhere.

I would, however, offer encouragement and perhaps a donation to the a fund for 1533, assuming there is a plan to pull her out and repair her. The same goes for the 3028. One might do that very thing by selling an extra brakeman's lantern of other item and then pooling the cash. Both are worthy causes as is another in know of in Hancock, Maine.
Just showing the flag for the latter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:37 pm 

Is there a plan? A fund for 1533? I’d certainly be interested.
As for concentrating on the positive, I think spending my scant free time rebuilding #9, with driving wheels and other things from her old partner #7 is fairly positive. We have moved on, but I haven’t forgotten the history.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:06 pm 

Mr met1533 --- To be sure, I wasn't there, although the matter has been explained to me by somebody who was. My post concerns the experience that JC McHugh's customers have had since the 1533 saga. Anybody who disputes my account is free to have their own customers stand up and be counted, and come forward in their defense.

Best of luck with your #9. It looks like you are doing a good thing, from what I can see out here in Colorado.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:45 pm 

Regarding #1533 being restored, it would be a big job, one made much bigger by the short sighted actions of someone many years ago. But then, every new locomotive that has been restored in the last ten or fifteen years is one that I thought would never run again, so why not

If she was restored (CN fans plug your ears), she would be a much better looking engine if her cab was raised a foot or so to put it more in line with the top of the steam dome. As it is, the cab looks like it had been stepped on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:51 pm 

My memory of NH&I 1533 is that it was taken out of service at the end of 1975 to be rebuilt for Bicentennial service. The job turned out to be bigger than expected, so instead of 2 working steam engines to handle almost all of the increased passenger service, Diesels and No. 40 were used.