It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Freedom Train 2026 Status
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:41 pm 

The chief difficulty I have with the 1969-1975 model of major touring excursion is that it provides an extraordinarily convenient common 'magnet' for a potentially large number of nuts, some of whom are sanctioned or tolerated by the current government. In a world where "activists" kick flaming trash under trains to cause derailments or people are arrested tinkering with signal systems to cause collisions, it would be easy for a 'doesn't-really-exist-you-know' cell-based organization, knowing the route of the train in detail, having time to set up to make a grand "publicity statement" -- if it involves damage to patriarchal-privilege-centric materials, so much the better. In a world that can't keep graffiti off railroad cars or opportunists out of containers, I have to wonder whether both the necessary level of security or the cost of insurance would be showstopping even before the corporate sponsors agree to the above-the-rail operating costs.

A political 'advantage' (and one we can start setting up for now) would be the use of carbon-neutral or even zero-net-carbon fuel to be used in the steam locomotives. Either light or heavy oil fuel that 'fits the criteria' could be sourced, and promoted; solid fuel briquetted to size using torrefied 'biomass' would be something to process and even distribute considering the small percentage of the overall cost (<5%) that fuel represents in overall operating cost, and the easier arrangements for ash handling.

Needless to say, I think: protection and HEP ought to be provided by the most modern types of motive power available -- and showcased as such in the excursion's collateral. A hydrogen/battery conversion by RPS, for example, with the Cummins/Ballard cells now in production, would be capable of the necessary track speed under any likely circumstances, even if none of the railroads agreed to use their testbed engines for the promotional value.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:43 pm 

Congratulations on the new job, Sammy!!! LOL

Ross, you've got yourself a good man there, seriously.

If you can't get the real Liberty Bell, have smaller versions cast for each locomotive that pulls the train. Folks would be able to hear those actually ring-a-ding-a-ling and afterwards, could be auctioned off to help pay the bills.

They were all post-9/11 Gestapo-like stormtrooperish down at Independence Mall the last time we went to see it, black and white uniforms and everything... :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Christopher Stone wrote:
co614 wrote:
This time we will also be asking him to order the NPS to lend us the Liberty Bell so we can have that iconic symbol of our freedoms on board.

The real Liberty Bell, or a replica? I thought they stopped sending the real one out on traveling junkets a century ago, because it tended to come back with worsening cracks.

He tried to ask for the real thing for the 1975-76 train. Instead they ended up with a double-sized replica in a showcase car along with a lunar rover prototype. Last I saw, that bell was still on display outside Washington Union Terminal.

I don't even think Donald Trump would authorize a tour with the real Liberty Bell if he had the authority, as jingoistic and impulsive as he can be in other matters.

And as I said, they could ask for whatever they want, but it is the job of archivists and curators to first and foremost PROTECT artifacts. As much as I agree with the philosophy of "if no one can see it, why bother saving it?" in general, there is no confounded way "they" would let "sacred" artifacts go on tour on train. This is why instead of the actual Constitution document, the 1970s AFT made do with "George Washington's copy." And after all these years, no one even seems to care what our first space satellites or modules look like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:54 am 

Christopher Stone wrote:
I'm not even sure there is a point to using steam.
How about because we like steam locomotives, and like to see them run? If participants of this forum can't advocate running a steam locomotive, we might as well drop all of the fires today.

If this falls flat, or if it happens and ends up running with Tier 4 diesels, so be it, but for us on this board to throw in the towel before even floating it before "the powers that be" is disgraceful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:59 pm 

The most likely locomotives that could be used for the Freedom Train are:

1. UP 4014

2. ATSF 2926

3. ATSF 3751

4. CP 2816

All for the reason they have PTC installed already

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:34 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Christopher Stone wrote:
How about because we like steam locomotives, and like to see them run? If participants of this forum can't advocate running a steam locomotive, we might as well drop all of the fires today.

Amen!

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:46 pm 

Since younger people do not want to drive cars, a Freedom Train might just be successful in showing what is available to ride and what could be. Also how tech can be incorporated into passenger trains.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12 am 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Christopher Stone wrote:

I get it, I get it; considering the mission of the forum there can be no conclusion other than "steam = good". But since we've been there and done that once already, maybe it is time to embrace something new and different, and dare I say, cleaner? Why must the Freedom Train be steam-only? Or are we admitting the primary draw really IS the steam locomotive, and not the artifacts and history on board?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:23 am 

I think steam leaves a much larger impact on people than anything that’s new which could be used on the AFT. Not to mention if it’s supposed to be a train to celebrate our past, steam locomotives, the technology that truly built this country, are perfectly fine to use. And yes, they would be a very big crowd draw themselves. The fact all of this is on a singular train would indeed make them one of if not the primary draws for people.

And what could you even use for a new AFT that people would actually be attracted to that fits the bill of being green? What benefit would there be for using a battery powered locomotive that looks almost identical to the modern diesels of today that everyone sees? At least with the ALCO PA for the original AFT, that was truly different from anything on the rails at the time, it stood out from the other motive power.

The big problem with using new locomotives is the fact they would do little to stand out from common diesels that are a dime a dozen: an issue both the original 1947 AFT and the bicentennial AFT did not have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:57 pm 

Have they decided which whistles Freedom Train 2026 will wear?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
wilkinsd wrote:
Have they decided which whistles Freedom Train 2026 will wear?

The use of whistles and/or horns will be eliminated in deference to protecting the "sensory divergent." All crossings will be guarded in advance by local police to protect the train and its precious contents from wanton interference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:33 am 

It has to have steam!

When the Freedom Train pulled into my hometown first thing in the morning, remembered hearing the whistle off afar. Then the bell. Then it pulling up to a stop to reverse into the yard.

The steam bug bit hard and never let go.

What an impact that would have on a whole new generation!

Post subject: Nice article about the 1975-1976 Freedom Train
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:52 am 

Not sure if I should post it here, but this article just came across my google feed this morning.

https://today.troy.edu/news/it-came-fro ... dom-train/

It's a really nice summary (not sure of the details all being correct) showing the magnitude of the Freedom Train back in 1975-1976.

That trip was a huge undertaking and I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be to pull off something like this today. You would almost need the President to assist with making it happen.