It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Patagonia Express Derails
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm 

I just found out that someone I know was apparently on that train. Ron McElrath, who owns Revelation Video was probably running a tour of Argentina and had a group on the train that derailed. The notice for this Friday's Akron Railroad Club meeting says that he is going to present some images from his "harrowing escape", so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:20 pm 

Randy Gustafson wrote:
Track settlement 'dip' obvious. No tie plates. No evidence of any tie replacement. Kink at the bolted joint LH rail. Missing interior spike on at least one tie LH rail.

Were those ties cut with an axe? I've seen ties like that on the abandoned Rollins Pass line in Colorado, from the original construction 120 years ago when the workers made bare subsistence.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:57 pm 

Yes, the ties look axe cut.

Subscribers to Railroad Video Quarterly will no doubt get an eyefull. I hope the engineer got out in time, but I guess anybody with seniority on that line has had some practice "jumping first and asking questions later".

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:55 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
I just found out that someone I know was apparently on that train. Ron McElrath, who owns Revelation Video was probably running a tour of Argentina and had a group on the train that derailed. The notice for this Friday's Akron Railroad Club meeting says that he is going to present some images from his "harrowing escape", so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about this.

UPDATE PATAGONIAN EXPRESS WRECK
The derailment and wreck of the Old Patagonian Express on November 11, 2023 was a railfan photo charter. The guide was Chris Skow, not Ron McElrath. Ron was on the tour to make a video. Ron was in the caboose when the train rolled over and he started filming just a few seconds after the caboose was stable on it's side. Ron's completed DVD program has been released and is called: "Cry for Me Argentina" It covers the entire 15 day tour including the train wreck.

There were 48 railfans onboard plus a crew of 7. Ron got a big black eye and Chris got two black eyes, a broken nose, broken tooth, and damage to his lower back lumbar region. He had surgery in Reno, Nevada on December 7 and is doing fine. Other injuries to the passengers included broken ribs,arms, waist, etc. etc. The engineer and fireman jumped with the engineer receiving a broken leg.

The cause of the derailment was soft roadbed from rain storms that hit the entire Patagonia a few weeks prior. When the steam locomotive ran over the soft roadbed the ties and track sunk a good 12 inches to the inside of the curve causing the steam locomotive to roll over. The fast thinking fireman turned off the oil and killed the fire just before jumping. The rest of the train would have been fine except that all cars and the locomotive were linked together by two chains. So when the engine rolled over it took the first car with it and each car followed in a kind of slow motion roll over.

The 5 car train and locomotive still is on it's side at the derailment site and could stay there for a long time to come. First, the wreck site is still in an active crime
investigation and 2nd the railroad was ordered closed down by the Argentine Government a few weeks after the accident.

The Province of Rio Negro had taken over the operation of all railroads both narrow gauge and broad gauge lines. Rio Negro had put very little money into the track work and because of this the entire rail system was closed until further notice! This includes the broad gauge passenger train running into the resort town of Bariloche and all freight service through-out the Province. All employees were laid off and sent home.

Reports from Argentina say that Rio Negro does not have the funds to repair the track so the future of this railroad is cloudy at best. So there is no reason to spend money to go out and pick up the wrecked train. This could very well be the final resting place for this train and steam locomotive.

Reports suggest that the Federal Police are looking at charging those persons in charge of the roadbed and track with a crime for not inspecting the track prior to the operation of the train. Argentina does not have something equal to our FRA. Each railroad is self governing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:08 pm 

Based on a Facebook post this morning (4/4/2024) the locomotive and cars have been recovered and returned to the shops for repair. The locomotive damage appears to be mainly a mangled cab and broken stack.

If you’re not averse to Facebook, you can see the photos at the link below. According to a comment on the post, the pictures were taken by Gabriel Asenjo, an engineer (not a locomotive driver).

https://www.facebook.com/10005326294915 ... sCniNT5zl/?