It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rio Car
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:00 am 

Joel, I personally was the only motorman behind the conroller of the No.1758 while it was at the Grand Cypress and I can gladly report that she never left the rails, the only problem we had was at the mid route passing track the trolley pole went down the wire the wrong way and the pole jumped off the wire. I am sad to report, and I have seen this in other places, as we all have, that the staff at the Grand Cypress was very negative about the car due to their lack of experiance with anything other then those Belgium cars and as we were trying to talk the Grand Cypress owners into using the car until Orlando line ready, the trolley manager and staff hated the idea because of something "new" and was hard at work to nix the idea. What a shame, can you think of anybody turning down the free use of a 1910 Brill open car....in this day and age? The trolley manager wouldnt even ride the car. If he would have he would have seen how nice the car ran over that crummy track. Just as a note about the disposition of the line, ultimately they scrapped the line out...some brainiack at the Grand Cypress simply called a scrap dealer in and they cut up the poles and wires into little pieces to haul away. Imagine 4 miles of poles and little used wire not being salvaged for a museum or such. That operation was such a great idea owned by people without a clue...I know, I was the first General Manager of the operation, set up the shop, hired and trained the crews, etc.

edrailco@aol.com