It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Freedom Train Yahoo Group *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:10 pm 

I have finally taken the plunge and created a Yahoo Group that is devoted to the study, modeling, documentation, discussion and research of information that relates to the 1975-1976 journey of the American Freedom Train.

Topics include the locomotives (both steam and diesel), cars, exhibits, memorabilia, “where are they now”, cars, crew, and operation of the train. Information on the 1947 Freedom Train is welcome as well.

The outstanding website created by the Museum of the AmericaÂ’s Freedom Trains (http://www.freedomtrain.org) and a ride behind 4449 in her Freedom Train colors in March of last year gave me the impetus to start this up. We know so much about the three steam locomotives that pulled the train (2101, 4449, 610), but there is so much more out there to learn.

For example, we know that 2101 had an auxiliary tender, but 4449 never did. We know that 4449 had MU capability, but the other two didnÂ’t. We know that two of BNÂ’s bicentennial diesels pulled the train for a spell in the west while 4449 was having wheel work done ... on what legs were what engines used? What other diesels were used as primary or helper power? All these questions and so much more!

My ultimate goal is that someone out there who is more talented than me will be able to make use of this information and someday compile it into a comprehensive book about the Freedom Train.

Now for the disclaimers: anyone is allowed to join and take part in civil, constructive conversation. Flaming will not be tolerated. Attachments to emails are not permitted in order to prevent virus problems (for that matter, virus warnings are not allowed either, since they are about as bad as spam in the first place). Spammers will be banned with no warning/notice. Initially, the list will be unmoderated (and I hope it can remain as such). Any violation of the basic rules of decorum will get you one warning – two violations and you will be banned. If you have files, links, etc, please post them in the appropriate area.

Below is the link to the Yahoo AFT Page ... welcome aboard!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanFreedomTrain/

Burlington John
Group Moderator
Yahoo American Freedom Train Group

Yahoo American Freedom Train Group
BurlingtonJohn@trainorders.com

Post subject: American Freedom Train Aug. 27, 1948 Visit
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:37 pm 

Just a little personal note on AFT: there is a small monument in Port Huron, Michigan's Pine Grove Park. The American Freedom Train stopped there on the old Pere Marquette Line to Croswell and Bad Axe on August 27, 1948. A fair amount of photos of the train in the park survive. It was a heck of site to park it at, as the line ran along the St. Clair River, and large white "AMERICAN FREEDOM TRAIN" (ala-HOLLYWOOD) letters were placed on the riverbank underneath the train facing Canada. Unfortunately, just like the AFT the line too, is now gone. Anyway, the plaque reads:

"THE FREEDOM PLEDGE"

"I AM AN AMERICAN. A FREE AMERICAN. FREE TO SPEAK-WITHOUT FEAR. FEAR TO WORSHIP GOD IN MY OWN WAY. FREE TO STAND FOR WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT. FREE TO OPPOSE WHAT I BELIEVE WRONG. FREE TO CHOOSE THOSE WHO GOVERN MY COUNTRY. THIS FREEDOM I PLEDGE TO UPHOLD FOR MYSELF AND ALL MANKIND"
(In Smaller letters) DEDICATED AUG. 27, 1948 TO COMMEMORATE THE VISIT OF THE FREEDOM TRAIN.

Port Huron, Michigan
tjgaffney@phmuseum.org