It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Northwest RAIL Museum/Other ORHF Equipment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:25 am 

With the given news revolving around the Northwest Rail Museum (not to be confused with the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie), several pieces of equipment are at risk of meeting the cutters torch (one of which being former Daylight crew car "Clackamas River")

Link to Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=70 ... 7942171029

Link to previous thread discussing the ALCO FA-1: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43532&start=30

Post subject: Re: Northwest RAIL Museum/Other ORHF Equipment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:51 am 

This was posted on an SP&S board, by someone associated with ORHF:

"[Name redacted] It is not owned by ORHF. It was stripped of ALL of its mechanical components years ago, (By the LIRR?)and loaded with scrap rail for ballast. I am told it is also contaminated with asbestos. Finally, it is stranded on an isolated piece of track and would require expensive crane work to move it for any purpose. Sad to see it scrapped, but it is a rusty approximation of a loco at this point, and no "savior" with the funds to move it has stepped forward."

Besides being on RyPN a lot, and a similar facebook group, I live in the Portland area, and nowhere did I hear about this unit being available, for scrap value or otherwise. Someone in the other thread mentioned using a "jungle telegraph" to let it be known that the ex-SP&S heavyweight combine was in danger, is that like a tin can phone where you can only be heard twenty feet from you?

There was a post on the Narrow Gauge forum a while back in which a person said that he wasn't interested in preservation, that he wanted to see steam running and was OK with using up the original fabric if that meant that he could see steam. I've thought about that post a lot, which was rather shocking to hear the silent part out loud, sort of like with the "Bradley effect". I have concluded that probably many individuals and many organizations in this interest group just want to enjoy train rides, and aren't interested in preservation, which they may consider a nuisance, and I think that must be the case here.