It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knott's Railroad Enthusiasts Day
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:35 pm 

Just returned from the day at Knott's. Both D&RG 340 and RGS 41 were in steam and the goose was also out on the line. All of the railroad areas and all of the equipment was open for tours.

Knott's deserves a well done for the effort put into this operation.

eburger1@san.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Knott's Railroad Enthusiasts Day
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:08 pm 

I think it is amazing that they still have the railroad at all, as most amusement parks either went to fake steamers or tore the tracks out long ago. The Knotts Berry Farm of today has obviously changed a lot from the place I visited as a kid in the mid-1950s, but they still steam up locomotives that are over 120 years old. And they look better now than they did in 1954.

The real kudos should go, as with Union Pacific's Steve Lee, to the person who is able to convince the management and lawyers that steam is the right thing to do as company policy when it otherwise wouldn't make sense economically. Whoever that person is at Knotts is a real hero.

> Just returned from the day at Knott's. Both
> D&RG 340 and RGS 41 were in steam and
> the goose was also out on the line. All of
> the railroad areas and all of the equipment
> was open for tours.

> Knott's deserves a well done for the effort
> put into this operation.

ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Knott's Railroad Enthusiasts Day
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:57 pm 

As a passholder, the event was $20 and included a t-shirt, plus Mrs. Knott's famous chicken dinner (worth going for alone) in addition to all the other fare. Wonderful!

wyld@sbcglobal.net

Post subject: Knott's is well worth it
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:17 am 

Back when I was a bi-coastal TV big wig (gag, choke, gag) I had the chance visit Knott's with my wife. Even though we were there on a normal operating the day, the railroad guys went out of their way to give us a shop/goose/Edna tour.

The ROW may be a loop in a theme park, but the railroad and the equipment are a top notch, serious operation focused on keeping two 110+ year old steam locomotives in daily service.

Where else can you ride behind authentic Rio Grande steam in a train of authentic wooden D&RG coaches on a regular basis?

Great place.

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com