It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Does a Govt. Museum Run a Mainline Steam Locomotive?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:29 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Or,

"YOU can operate, maintain, and overhaul The World's Most Famous Steam Locomotive®!!"

https://in-tendhost.co.uk/sciencemuseum ... anage/1354

Article:

https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/18688 ... an-begins/

Post subject: Re: How Does a Govt. Museum Run a Mainline Steam Locomotive?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:55 pm 

Would that kind of arrangement even be possible in this country under our laws and government procedures?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:34 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Would that kind of arrangement even be possible in this country under our laws and government procedures?

I believe the National Park Service contracts out concessions all the time. Grand Canyon Railway? Is not the Cass operation a concession from the state?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:29 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

I believe the National Park Service contracts out concessions all the time. Grand Canyon Railway? Is not the Cass operation a concession from the state?

Grand Canyon Railway is owned and operated by Xanterra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 am 

Georgetown Loop is operated by a contract operator on property owned by the State of Colorado. CATS - 2 states.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 am 

Used to have a lot of fun at Stemtown spent a lot of time there tow or three times a year.the ride to Moscow would brake the day up nicely. Could buy a hot dog and a beverage. We have watched double headed run buys and met some very nice people.
Have been on a train that went on the ground one that stalled at Devils Hole.
Other then the double headed run by seemed like riding riding the train from Delanson to Altamont to go to the fair when I was a kid.
I think it’s a shame what has happened there.
I don’t need to go sixty or faster I like to head the engine working up hill and watching the scenery go by always something new to see in peoples back yards
Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:57 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It should be noted that LNER 4472 is a notable exception to the "preserve it in amber" mentality. It has spent more years as a "world celebrity" in preservation than it did in regular LNER/BR service even before the NRM acquired it in 2004. The loco even "came with" a spare boiler from a LNER A4 that it had used from 1965 to 1978, as well as a spare set of cylinders. So, if anything, it's very much a case of preserving how steam loco maintenance has been carried out. (Even the original nameplates are not in the possession of the NRM, as far as I know.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:01 am 

Daylight25 wrote:
softwerkslex wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

And before that by a family that "accidentally" took possession of half of the rail and track after a loan defaulted. Very weird story.

GCRY controls its own destiny right up to the NPS boundary. Then they have to abide by NPS regs. Which is why, for example, they can't stage private cars at the South Rim overnight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:39 am 

Daylight25 wrote:
softwerkslex wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

Grand Canyon is a concession of the National Park Service. Without access to the park, it is just a ride in the desert. Search the park concessions under "Grand Canyon".

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/concessions/concessioners-search.htm