It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Tickets Please"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:12 pm 

I have injoyed the responses to my posting, but please understand that I was speaking some what "tounge in cheek", or in most of my cases..."foot in mouth", but really, I sold 175,000 tickets in a three year period with this simple process: 1st you need a honest ticket clerk, 2nd three portion ticket, stub for agent, stub for conductor, ticket portion for passenger, all numbered of course, same number on all three portions. Agent marks down in log what number they started with and finished with, at the end of the day agent deposits stubs in sealed envelop and turns it in. At the end of the day conductor does the same with his tickets, next day supervisor checks both. (Special thanks to Richard Grigsby of the Reader Railroad for showing me this simple effective system). One big factor is that you have a honest crew and especially if they understand that the revenue from each and every seat sold will insure the correct amount in their pay envelope. I was blessed with such crews. I look forward to someone coming up with the green visor and sleeve gaurds, because without that stuff a fellow looks pretty weird punching, stamping, tearing and folding all those tickets, not to mention all that carbon black on ones long sleeved white shirt!......Tickets Please

edrailco@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Ticketing...the easy and cheap way!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:45 pm 

Speaking of the old daze ...does anyone out there still make dies for the good old ticket daters ??

lamontdc@adelphia.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:52 pm 

> Speaking of the old daze ...does anyone out
> there still make dies for the good old
> ticket daters ??

Purchased a couple of daters on eBay a couple of years ago. When I was watching then, I noted that one seller (not mine) had mentioned being able to supply parts (ribbons, rubber platens, and new dies). In contacting him he indicated that he could get new dies for Cosmos models.

contact me off-line for his email address and name.

-doc-

Heber Valley Railroad
utweyesguy@aol.com

Post subject: Re: "Tickets Please"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:19 pm 

>It sounds like your system worked. The only thing you might want to keep in mind is that 175.000 tickets is still hundreds of thousands of dollars and given that people can move on or pass on rather suddenly, the honesty of key personnel is a very fragile control in what was a major operation.

That having been said, good people can produce results in the absence of "good" internal controls and any system devised by man can be defeated by man.

Superheater@beer.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:42 am 

I would think that a skilled die maker at a stamp manufacturing shop could make the required pieces to restore a dater. Years ago, TVRM had dies made specifically for our stations along with new ribbons and additional pieces for a set of Aurora daters. Knowing our organization, it is likely that our parts were made or supplied locally as we patronize local companies if possible and there are a couple of stamp manufacturing companies here in town.

awalker2002@comcast.net