It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-WP Business Car For Sale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:28 pm 

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEq ... emId=3757&

Going for $75K, this car once served the Western Pacific

This isn't related to the FPA-4s and RS11, but it looks like times are changing on the Napa Valley Wine Train

Any chances it might go to Portola?

Post subject: Re: Ex-WP Business Car For Sale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:40 pm 

The Argonaut was purchased by WP in 1942 and became their car 105. It had been in the Pullman rental fleet under name Philadelphia. Gil Kneiss purchased the car in 1961 and named it Cariboo. Dick Reynolds purchased the car in 1964 and named it Argonaut. He used it in his charter and excursion business. It was sold again in 1978. Last I saw it nothing had ever been modernized on it, so when Amtrak came along its mainline days were over. I have ridden the car on the Sunset Route and all over Mexico.

David Johnston

Edited post to correct errors.

Last edited by David Johnston on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 am 

Here's a photo I found from doing research (in other words, doing the bare minimum, but getting the source I need)

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4059259

Apparently the car was sold to the WP in 1942. Might've made its way into private ownership in 1965

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:17 pm 

Quote:
Built in 1914 by the Pullman Company for general pool service and named Philadelphia. Sold to the Western Pacific Railroad in 1942 and became their business car #105. Sold again in 1963 to a private individual and renamed Cariboo and was used in US and Mexico charter service. In later years the car was named Argonaut and operated on the Napa Valley Wine Train.

Some of the physical and mechanical attributes include good body & roof, E couplers, original DC electrical and HVAC systems, wood sash windows, oil bath bearings, good wheels, bolted pedestal trucks, original interior with observation lounge, three bedrooms, dining room, crew room and kitchen.
From the listing at Ozark.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 pm 

That could be a hard sell, as I don't believe that car ever had air conditioning.

Also, I understand that it has a steel interior. Minimal to no wood. People who like heavyweight biz cars like their wood interiors, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:53 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
That could be a hard sell, as I don't believe that car ever had air conditioning.

Also, I understand that it has a steel interior. Minimal to no wood. People who like heavyweight biz cars like their wood interiors, too.
Heck, the Pullman Company once painted early steel "heavyweight" car interiors with faux wood graining. Later on the cars got plan brown, etc. interiors.

People restoring old houses often do faux wood graining -- even if they strip layers of paint off of the woodwork. So there are people who know how to do that.