It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gasolier and Seats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm 

Hello, I am involved in restoring a dining carriage, built in 1894, that is being restored in the UK. The original design is heavily influenced by contemporary North American practice. In order to further the restoration, I am running a project to replicate the gasolier/gasalier/gaselier lighting, the project being challenging due to a lack of drawings. I would appreciate if the community here could advise whether they have come across anything similar to that shown upon the image attached here and also whether the seating is recognised. Any help appreciated. P.s. It may be of interest that I have already replicated the Pintsch deck lamps that adorn the vestibules!

Attachments:
GNR DINING CAR WITH ATTENDANT V2.jpg
GNR DINING CAR WITH ATTENDANT V2.jpg [ 364.75 KiB | Viewed 3240 times ]

Post subject: Re: Gasolier and Seats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:26 pm 

This thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47297&p=336712&hilit=Gas+lighting#p336712

which contains this link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Jv7VA ... &q&f=false

might be helpful (the car interior lighting section is pages E-192 through E-211, Figures 812-949). I also saw seats sort of resembling yours. Someone more familiar with the car builders' cyclopedia would know if it was updated closer to 1894.

Edit: This thread also: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38892&p=242697&hilit=Gas+lighting#p242697 Dennis Storzek of the Illinois Railroad Museum seems to be well versed in gas lighting (or perhaps lighting with gas might be a better term these days), hopefully he will see this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:32 pm 

Many thanks for the swift response. The gas lighting fixtures kind of resemble images I had seen elsewhere. Take your point about a version of the book closer to 1894 might yield different images.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:02 am 

The 1895 Car Builder's Dictionary is, or was, available from Google Books (free to download in the United States) and was accessible from a TinyURL link in a post on RyPNFeb 17 2010 -
https://tinyurl.com/yh8e4ts

Gas pressure was indicated as diaphragm-regulated to about 1/2psi from a much higher storage pressure, and I suspect this would apply to 'gasoliers' as it would to other Pintsch-gas lighting. I'll let you translate that into whatever funny metric equivalent might be necessary (about 0.03 bar for example)

I am not sure what's used as a modern replacement for Pintsch gas, which appears to have been substantially carbon monoxide (!). A compressed tank of carbon monoxide exposed on the underframe in a derailment or collision?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:34 am 

Excellent article on Pintsch Gas with many illustrations.

https://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/sdgas.Html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:27 pm 

I know of a couple of former Union Pacific (Oregon Short Line) coaches from 1910 that are in preservation and should still have their Pintsch ceiling lamps. At least both still had these in the 1980s.

One at California State Park "Railtown 1897 State Historic Park" located at Jamestown, California. The other is Southern California Railway Museum at Perris, CA. Cars had gone into ownership of a movie studio in the late 1940s. After the one arrived at Perris, I was passenger car foreman and investigated our car and found that the ceiling fixture I opened up still had its font-type device and wick. And underneath had its tanks and regulator.