It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GW 51 in 1926
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:27 pm 

Great Western Railway (of Colorado) 2-8-0 51, awaiting repairs at joint CB&Q/C&S shops in Denver, 1926. GW 51 was still running on California's Fillmore & Western last I knew. Joint Shops became a grocery warehouse along the Valley Highway (I-25) in 1955 and may still be.

http://gowest.coalliance.org:8080/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?fullRecord+16532+594+9242+75+3
ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Current context has expired or is no longer valid
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:57 pm 

again the link doesn't link

utweyesguy@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Current context has expired or is no longer va
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:53 pm 

The Denver Public Library website works fine sometimes, other times not. If it isn't working, try the link below, then type in the subject matter (Great Western 51 in this case)as a keyword in the search box. When it does work, this site is a goldmine of old photos, mostly from the Otto Perry collection. Previous to putting it on-line, these photos cost about $15 each to see, and the catalogs alone were about $50.

> again the link doesn't link

http://gowest.coalliance.org/presearch.html
ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Progress on GWR #75 *PIC*
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:22 pm 

Thanks Bob,

I went wandering around under the 'keyword' GWR and found a couple of Otto's pictures of our #75 in her previous life. Looks like one was before GW decided to extend the smokebox.

I had a polite conversation via email with an eastern Coloradan who had photographed the GWR during the last days of steam. He commented that the GW crews felt #75 didn't steam as well as the others on the roster and so it was rarely used on the excursions or even in service.

Today, #75 is stripped of all appliances, jacket/insulation are off, over 1/2 the tubes are cut and on their way out of the boiler, majority of staybolts have been tested/passed, rods are loosened and ready to be dropped, air compressor starts it's rebuilding this week.

sc 'doc' lewis

Heber Valley Railroad
utweyesguy@aol.com