It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Going to Cass?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:19 pm 

If you're coming from the South, I-64 to White Sulphur and then WVA 92 takes you up the Valley and no hills. Tried the one from Covington through Warm Springs ONCE in 1977.... never again! Jim

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Staying at Cass? *PIC*
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:40 pm 

> I don't recommend Snowshoe--the highway
> between there and Cass is a brake burner.
> Stay off of it.

You candy-a$$ flatland drivers . . . geez, we make a special effort to find those "brake-burners!"

Here's how you get to Cass the Crayuft way:

I-81 from anywhere to Roanoke.

Take VA/WV 311 through New Castle and Sweet Chalybeate to White Sulphur Springs. (Two summits.)

East on I-64 to Covington, then north to Warm Springs, then VA/WV 39 to Minnehaha Springs (summit) and Marlinton.

US219 north to Huttonsville, then US250E to Monterey, VA (eleventeen summits).

Then 84 to Frost, Dunmore and Greenbank, then sadly ending this little journey. But at least there's steam waiting.

Now, to get home: first, find the Midas shop in Cass. Then . . .

JAC

Post subject: Re: Staying at Cass?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:16 pm 

A little horizontal but it will do. I drove three Californians that way through the snow to the convention there a few years back, not bad roads at all compared to some of those in Colorado.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:22 pm 

Ahhh, brings back memories of visiting cass, not once but twice, both times for railfan weekends, once in 1990 and once in 1995, The first time I went I had a 5.0L mustang, and it was a treat doing those mountain roads, talk about a match made in heaven!
Secondly we stayed at the Boyer motel both times, and when we were there in 1995 they still didn't have telephones or alarm clocks, the wake up call consisted of a guy knocking on the door saying "Ya'll get up now, ya'here"... I'm not kidding!

> A little horizontal but it will do. I drove
> three Californians that way through the snow
> to the convention there a few years back,
> not bad roads at all compared to some of
> those in Colorado.

> Dave

b.hume@rogers.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:20 am 

> A little horizontal but it will do. I drove
> three Californians that way through the snow
> to the convention there a few years back,
> not bad roads at all compared to some of
> those in Colorado.

hehehehe . . .

Speaking of Colorado, a couple of years ago we rode a two-day photo train on the D&S. One of the riders mentioned that his wife "didn't ride the train because she was scared of heights . . . so she's driving to Silverton."

That night at dinner she was the butt of a few gentle jokes . . . we suggested she visit Ouray before heading back to Durango ;-)

JAC

Post subject: windmills???
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:41 am 

Where are these windmills? Or are they wind generators in the valley for Bald Knob?

rldewley@juno.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:48 pm 

Carl Franz and his patrons (including myself for the past 20-some years) must have tried every way possible to reach Cass with the mininum of "mountain driving"! My choice (coming from the north) for the past decade and half has been Route I-81 South to Strasburg, VA; then east on Route 55 to Moorefield, WV; then south on Route 28 the rest of the way to the Route 66 turn off to Cass. This route does have a few grades, but nothing like going east on Route 250 from Staunton, VA. It's a reasonable drive on decent two-lane roads which mostly follow valleys instead of going over mountains. While there are a few 10 MPH curves (the kind were the speed limit isn't just a "suggestion"!!), much of the drive can be safely (and legally!!) made at 45 to 55 MPH. Also there is major construction of what appears to be a new Route 55 between the VA/WV border and Moorefield, WV. This new road--which is looking more like an Interstate Highway--when complete(??), should cut out a major chunk of the "mountain driving" on this route.

I've never stayed in Cass' restored company houses or the Inn at Snowshoe, so I can't comment on them. I've stayed at the Hermitage Motel at the Jct of Routes 28-250 at Bartow. It's a nice well-kept motel with a good restaurant, reasonable rates, and a 20-mile 30-minute drive to Cass. I've given plenty of business over the years to the Boyer Motel on Route 28 at Boyer (several miles north of Greenbank). This motel's older units in the front are getting a little worn, but the newer units on the hill at the rear are perfectly fine (ask for one of these units if available). ALL of the rooms are clean and rates are VERY reasonable. Boyer's have a VERY nice restaurant with great food and a neat railroad-themed decor. Even people who stay elsewhere (including Snowshoe) go to Boyer's for the restaurant--check it out! Boyer's is a 12-mile 20-minute drive to Cass--I think the closest motel to Cass.

WARNING SHAMELESS AD for my ol' buddy Carl... Springtime (May 10-11) is a great time to visit Cass and one of Carl's two-day "photo specials" is a great way to experience Cass--his trips offer a lot of "bang for the buck". He still should have some seats available, email me for his phone number.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

jrobinson@dataram.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:06 am 

...there is major construction of
> what appears to be a new Route 55 between
> the VA/WV border and Moorefield, WV. This
> new road--which is looking more like an
> Interstate Highway--when complete(??),
> should cut out a major chunk of the
> "mountain driving" on this route.

The new highway is a westward extension of I-66 from Front Royal to Elkins, variously following WVA 55 and the abandoned WM Blackwater Canyon route between Elkins and Cumberland.

Put "West Virginia Corridor H" into your search engine to see a color map of the (proposed/in design/under review/under construction) segments of the route.

bruceman@stargate.net

Post subject: Re: windmills???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:06 am 

> Where are these windmills? Or are they wind
> generators in the valley for Bald Knob?

They are on US 219 somewhere between Elkins and US 50. Don't remember exactly.

JAC

Post subject: Re: windmills???
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:04 pm 

> Where are these windmills? Or are they wind
> generators in the valley for Bald Knob?

Cass one of my faverite places to visit.All you guys complaining about the hills and mountains. Wow!!! That's one of the attractions of Cass,the hills and mountains. Take that in when you go there besides Cass itself.I love that ride between Cass and Snowshoe.You won't wear down your brakes in the few days your there.Gear down .Just think of the locals who do that evey day.

ktpituch@charterpa.net