It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wiliamsgrove and 1361
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:18 pm 

I heard that the Williams grove 0-6-0 was down for a while, was wondering if anyone can give me an update and how is the work on PRR1361 going?

steamtrain90@aol.com

Post subject: Re: wiliamsgrove and 1361
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:58 pm 

> I heard that the Williams grove 0-6-0 was
> down for a while, was wondering if anyone
> can give me an update and how is the work on
> PRR1361 going?
PRR 643 at Williams Grove is indeed out of service for a while. Let's hope it is not forever. The engine needs a new crown sheet and other firebox and boiler work. They are having some success raising funds and are deciding if the work is to be done on site or the boiler removed and sent to a shop where it could be repaired on a fill in work basis. If the boiler is removed much running gear work would probably be done since it would be easy to access.

The Williams Grove group deserves far more credit than it gets. The current managers took over the railroad in the early seventies when it was washed out, out of service, and thought to be done for good. They not only returned the railroad to service but have kept PRR steam alive for many years. While 1361 has received all the press 643 has often been the only PRR engine in steam. In the mid seventies 643 was as worn out as any engine that was operating. Miracles performed include turning the driver tires with the wheels still under the engine, complete disassembly and overhaul of the tender, installing a 14EL brake system, and slowly extending the railroad. All this was done with budgets that most would only laugh at. Lets hope they have one more miracle left because these guys are not young anymore.

As for the 1361 the most recent TVRM update says the drivers are now finished and waiting to go home. Perhaps some others have more on the Scranton news.

jhbohon@yahoo.com