It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&O Fair of the Iron Horse Ticket Donations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:21 am 

A motion was made below to pursue the bulk purchase of tickets to the Fair of the Iron Horse in Baltimore in June/July as support to the rebuilding of the Museum, and to donate those tickets for local use to such causes as youth organizations.

For the record, I am *NOT* an official representative of the B&O Museum, nor do I play one on Interchange.

But I advise waiting for a few days before pursuing this tactic.

The Museum has A LOT of planning, heart-searching, and physical labor ahead of them. RUMORS floated so far have stretched from cancellation of the Fair (from a financial standpoint, a possibility) to the eventual closure and/or demolition of the Roundhouse. Let me say that NONE of this is likely at the moment (although never underestimate the zeal of a clueless building inspector).

At the moment, I am still recommending unrestricted or restricted donations directly to the B&O Museum (see other posts for links). HOWEVER, if anyone realistically wishes to pursue the Fair Ticket proposal, I am offering to work as a liasion with the Museum, the NRHS, local organizations, or whatever to bring this proposal to fruition. My recommendation would be to wait for a couple days for the snow to be dug out; then I will go to Museum staff with a recommendation to make a donation-ticket an option at the Fair website, as in "click here to donate a ticket to be used to bring the youth of Baltimore to the Fair" or something.

If this is not forthcoming, I am willing to work on behalf of ticket purchasers here and elsewhere to facilitate appropriate ticket donation or distribution by whatever means feasible.

For now, though, stay tuned and watch this Interchange for further details.

B&O official report
lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: Re: B&O Fair of the Iron Horse Ticket Donations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:13 pm 

> Alexander, just out of curiousity-was the B&O carrying "all perils" property insurance if it was available under a commercial lines policy issued in Maryland?

I know you aren't official but unquiring minds..

Nonetheless, I'll send what help $$ I can.

Superheater@rrmail.com

Post subject: Oops
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:19 pm 

> Sorry. looks like you answered the insurance question below

Superheater@rrmail.com

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:05 pm 

> I know you aren't official but inquiring
> minds..

From overhearing Wilson's answers to TV and newspaper reporters, the impression I have is that the Museum has SOME insurance covering the situation. Exactly what it covers, I can't say. What I CAN say is that if the building were completely uninsured, there would likely be several suicides by now. <;-)

By the way, although the governor of Maryland visited, no "knee-jerk" political promises have been made as of yet. The state was already about $10 million in the red from snow removal BEFORE this storm (which may cost upwards of $30 million or more to clean up, according to official sources), and the previous governor and legislature of Maryland left a truly massive and scandalous deficit in his wake. I would suggest that the ONLY way government monies will flow to the B&O Museum for this event is in the wake of Federal disaster relief grants, which will likely be slow in processing.

lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: Re: Insurance
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:23 pm 

> the previous governor and
> legislature of Maryland left a truly massive
> and scandalous deficit in his wake.

As much as I'd like see Parris convicted on that charge...if it was a capital crime, there'd be quite a few (former) governors headed for the gallows.

superheater@rrmail.com