It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auxiliary tender
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 1999 1:50 am 

Does anyone know the location of the auxiliary tender Ross Roland used with the 2102 and the 759 on High Iron trips?<p>It was at Steamtown in VT some years before the move to Scranton.<p><br>

AlanL759@prodigy.net

Post subject: Re: Auxiliary tender
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 1999 10:21 am 

There is an auxiliary tender numbered 759 in storage with the rail equipment up in Tobyhanna. This may be the tender in question.<p><br>

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 1999 12:50 pm 

The NYC Museum in Elkhart has an auxiliary tender that they said came off the freedom train and was also damaged in the roundhouse fire.<br>

davelecount@juno.com

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 1999 11:35 pm 

The Elkhart tender was a Mohawk tender AFT used with 2101. The HICO 759-A ex-N&W tender went with 759 back to Steamtown, and was not available when AFT started running 2101 (AFT #1) in 1975.<br>

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 1999 5:41 pm 

The aux. tender is being stored at Tobyhanna. I got this from a person at Steamtown. I think we will be restoring this eventually, to run with 759 on any excursions that Steamtown wants to run. By the way, any input on how to paint it???? Nickel Plate Road, N&W, Steamtown...????

VLR Homepage
Rotarykiln@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 1999 2:44 pm 

Yes, if it is being restored to run behind 759, I think it should carry the NKP-style "High Iron Co." script. I'm sure that Ross would grant his permission. 759 was an icon of the late 60s and early 70s to many of us northeastern steam fans, and recognition of HICO (and the great times its trips were) is long overdue. 759 and 759-A on CNJ, EL, WM, PC, etc. are the way we remember it-- let the 765 recreate the 1950s NKP.<br>

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 1999 8:39 am 

I agree. I like the idea of it being lettered the way it was for the High Iron Co.<br>

AlanL759@prodigy.net

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 1999 6:06 am 

I would have to check with Steamtown on that. I know they have rules about putting another companies name on one of their pieces of equipment. Mostly because of liability. Great suggestions though. I'll pass it along<br>

Rotarykiln@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 1999 1:03 am 

You mean other companies such as "Canadian Pacific" on 2317, "Canadian National" on 3254, etc.? I doubt High Iron still exists corporately, but if it did, Ross Rowland would likely be quite pleased to have the HICO name on the 759-A, and have Steamtown do a bit of explanation to visitors about what HICO was. <p>The history of "post-season" steam (that of excursion engines after 1960) is an interesting one, and a story that should be told before the remaining participants are gone. Some of them already are.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 1999 4:52 am 

I think Steamtown means an existing private company. We had asked them about running a baggage car that is converted to a tool/crew car behind 759 when it goes on excursions. The baggage car could not have VLR on it anywhere. They also has problems with the circus people putting decals on the flat cars for the circus train. I'm pretty sure that is what they mean.<br>

Rotarykiln@aol.com