It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traintel Motel in South Dakota
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 3:16 pm 

Repeating an unanswered post on the Altamont Press discussion board...<p>Some years ago, there was a motel at Sioux Falls, SD made up of retired sleeper cars, which the post says were ex-Great Northern. Is this still there, and if so, still in business? Anyone have more information or photos?<br><br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Traintel Motel in South Dakota
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 1999 1:29 am 

<br>The cars are gone. I happened to be in the Sioux Falls mechanical foreman's office while he was whining to a superior that he couldn't find any thing in the interchange rules that would enable him to kill the movement of the cars on their own wheels. He was that kind of guy.<p>This would have been in the early 90's? I "think" one of the cars went west to the Portland area. I do recall that the cars went to different destinations. I was visiting earlier today with a fellow who remembers the third car coming in some years after the first two were parked. The site was not on rail, the cars had to be trucked in and out.<p>Alex Huff <br>

dsrc512@sd.cybernex.net

Post subject: Re: Traintel Motel in South Dakota
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 9:55 pm 

There were five cars, all of which ended up on the west coast. I believe they were all brokered by noted passenger car book publisher Dave Randall. The ex-CNW Rose Bowl (18 roomettes) and<br>the ex-CNW Arcadia (4-4-2) ended up at Travel Town in Los Angeles. The ex-CNW Civic Center (4-4-2) and the ex-CNW Montgomery Street (coach) are<br>at the Golden Gate RR Museum in SF. The Civic Center is privately owned. The ex-SP Rincon Hill (10-5) is owned by Doyle McCormack (sp?) and is used as a crew car for the 4449. It's been renamed the Clackamas River. These cars were all built in 1940 & 1941 by Pullman Standard for service on UP streamliners. To the credit of the owner of the TrainTel, these cars were left in virtually mint<br>original condition, which is more than can be said for the vast majority of passenger cars in private ownership.<br>