It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roundhouse Nominations Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 9:14 pm 

<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Roundhouse Nominations Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 3:06 am 

I know that most of the discussion has been about eastern roundhouses, but my nomination would have to go to Bayshore roundouse in San Francisco. (I've been writing back and forth to Bob on this one)<p>The roundhouse itself still stands along with one of the shop buildings. Most everything else is gone. The tracks for the yard were removed about 15 years ago. <p>There is a nearby museum, the Golden Gate Railroad Museum at Hunters Point. They are located on government property, and to get to it, you have to drive through some pretty sketchy neighborhoods. They are not easy to find either. They are the owners of former SP 4-6-2 2472, which they plan on running again later this year on the peninsula.<p>I think that Bayshore Roundhouse would be a great place for them to house their museum. They could easily attract visitors and would be in a more visible location, which I would think would attract $$'s and new members for the club as well.<p>I have not actually contacted them about this before. Perhaps they have looked into this already, I don't know. Hopefully someone "in the know" will read this and respond.<p>Their website can be seen here:<br>http://www.ggrm.org/<br>

magnetic_flagman@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 3:12 am 

A few more off the top of my head.. Bellvue, Ohio and Frankfort, Indiana; NKP. Bellvue said to be in maintenance of way use, but whole building and turntable still there. Frankfort said to have some stalls missing, but coal chute still there. Have been trying to get more info and photos for at least 12 years.... I think Chattanooga and Ashville have partial Southern roundhouses, but probably better to concentrate on making Spencer authentic. I think Spencer may be last class-one, heavy overhaul facility which still has full roundhouse and backshop intact... Is that correct?<p>SP at Eugene, Oregon still fully intact last I knew, though machinery was mostly gutted a few years ago. This facility is actually a bit larger than it was in steam days, after late-1950s additions. Not sure if scab-outfit Railtex is using it now or not. As Dan Furtado mentioned, SP Bayshore roundhouse still standing, though everything gone around it. A five-stall concrete shell still standing at Lufkin, TX; just a shell, but seemingly sound; good place to get five T&NO steamers out of the Texas rain?<p>To be continued...<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 8:23 am 

Did you mention Cumberland, MD, Bob? Full roundhouse, turntable and huge diesel backshop still going strong...<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org