It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Altoona Railroaders Museum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 1999 5:28 pm 

I visited here about 12-13 years ago, at the old location, but all I can remember in the way of rolling stock was a GG1. Besides the GG1 (and the K4) what equipment is at the museum? Their website is among the worst when it comes to giving you an idea of what is really at their museum.<br>

davelecount@juno.com

Post subject: Altoona Railroaders Museum better than steamtown as far as m
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 1999 10:34 am 

Its Too bad the website isn't that great, because the museum is outstanding. The old site is still there and adjecent to that is the master mechanics buildng. There is no rolling stock in the building, but it actually dosn't really need it. The displays, interactive exhibits and interpretive featurs are the best I'v ever seen. Steamtown museum is a joke when put beside it. If you're looking for rolling stock and operation, maybe B&O/Steamtown are the better places though. There are several pieces there at altoona, though many in poor condition. There is an 0-4-0t, several passenger cars, freight cars, 2 diesel switchers as well.<p>Hope that helps<p>Dave<br>

bing@epix.net

Post subject: Re: Altoona Railroaders Museum Rolling Stock
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 1999 12:17 pm 

The Horseshoe Curve Chapter of the NRHS has a nice description of their equipment, some of which has been displayed at the museum.<p>http://www.trainweb.org/horseshoecurve-nrhs/<br>

uj205@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Altoona Railroaders Museum Rolling Stock
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 1999 1:15 pm 

My family made a day trip to Horsehoe Curve and Altoona two Sundays ago. Made a great day to combine the two and they work together contextually. No, there is a lack of rolling stock displayed, but alot of real action on the Curve. We also made it up to Gallitin Tunnels and the town there has a modest but nice museum there with an old Pennsy steel caboose overlooking the west tunnel portals. I'd recommend them all as a great combo for a day trip. <br>

JMFouchard@aol.com