It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winton engine at Smithsonian
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 1999 3:05 pm 

<P>In the Smithsonian's Railroad Hall, there is a Winton straight-eight diesel engine. Some have told me this is the engine from the Pioneer Zephyr, but another person recently told me that this engine once powered an exhibit at the 1939 World's Fair and was never used on a railroad... Where is it from, and if from the Pioneer Zephyr, what is in the engine room of that train on display in Chicago today?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Winton engine at Smithsonian
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 1999 9:58 pm 

<P>According to a booklet in my collection published by GM, the Winton in the museum is indeed from the Pioneer Zephyr. There is a photo of the engine on its display stand. There is also a photo of the 2 (count em, two) 8 cylinder Wintons used to provide power for the Chevrolet assembly line exhibit at the Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago, 1933. The construction of the engine crankcases is dramatically different between the 1934 Zephyr and the 1933 Exposition engines. Many other minor differences are evident in the photos. Your question mentions the year "1939". By then, the Winton had been replaced by the 567 as used in the SW1 and I seriously doubt that GM would put an obsolete engine out there in the public eye. Could it be that there is a confusion of events and years?<p>Hope this helps

Black Widow GP9 Homepage
sp5623@earthlink.net