It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CNR 5288
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 6:37 am 

<P>I am looking for specifications on the CNR 5288 that is a part of the Steamtown collection. And if anyone knows anything of the operational history of this locomotive, please pass it along. Thanks in advance.<br>

aw90h@cs.com

Post subject: Re: CNR 5288 spects etc.....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 9:16 am 

<P>Here is what I cuold find on the 5288, hope this helps. 5288 is a 4-6-2, class J1b, built in 1918 by Montral locomotive works. IT was ordererd by the Ganadian Goverment Railways (predecessor to Canadian National). Originallly the number was 5-6 on the government railways. It has a 200 Psi boiler, 69 inch drivers, has a roughly 40,000 pound tractive effort and is superheated. It carries 14 tons of coal and 7100 gallons of water.<p>In the ealry 1920's the 516 (5288) was transfered to the CN owned Grand Trunk railways, becoming number 1516. It was later numbered 5288 and eventually returned to the Canadian National. The locomotive was retired in 1960 I believe. The 5288 is the only J7b in existence (J7b class was distinct in having open cabs, a departure with CN and CP practice). There is a J7a, 5270 I believe in a city park in New Brunswick. This is from a few sources, a story pieced together, so keep that in mind, a few details my be slightly different, but I think this is a good outline. The last I saw the engine (it is stored in Tobyhanna) it looked in decent cosmetic shape, no major problems apparent. It did move from Vermont in 1985 on its own wheels, but was never steamed during stemtown ownership. Hope this helps.<p>Dave in Scranton <br>

bing@epix.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 9:51 am 

<P>Just out of curiosity, how much stuff does Steamtown have stored at Tobyanna??<br>

jimhollis@home.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 5:30 pm 

<P>Besides the 5288, there is a steam pile driver from the rutland, a log loader (no boiler, shell only) and quite a few coaches from the CNJ and DL&W. There are also an 2 F-units, one still owned by the NPS (an ex KCS unit) and a MILW unit owned at onetime by a historical society in NY, but I believenow to be destined for the Tennessee Valley (I think, I could be wrong on that). There are also a few aged boxcars and a beautiful B&M combine with original arched baggage door (on a flat car though). The true rare bird here is ex- CP 4-4-4 Jubilee# 2929. This piece, one of only 2 left of this wheel arrangement in N. America was a compact racer, capable of 100mph speeds. They performed well with short commuter trains and could accelerate quickly between stations. Interestingly enough, these 300lp boilered racehorses were HAND FIRED! <p>Hope this helps.<p>Dave in Scranton<br>

bing@epix.net