It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Searching for what may be a ghost.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 am 

Many years ago, around 1986 or 1987 a steam locomotive was parked at Lewistown Junction, Pa on one of the outer tracks of the Conrail yard. As I recall it was faced westbound, with a Conrail loco on point and with it was an old PRR baggage car. The loco was under steam and was only there for a day or two if I remember correctly. I know this is a long shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if anybody here on the boards would have a recollection of what loco this would have been. My aunt and grandmother took me to see it, I was about 4 or 5 years old. We had photos of the visit, but my grandmother passed in 2004 and since nobody really knows what happened to the old binders of photos we had. Of course I'm sure nobody would have copies of them, I'm really just interested in knowing what locomotive was there, as it was the first and only time in my life I've pulled the whistle cord on a locomotive, knowing the equipment would complete the story. :)
Thank in advance to anybody with insight, and anybody taking a second to see what this ghost story might have been.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Searching for what may be a ghost.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:17 am 

There's a yellow fireless engine in lewistown we pass on the way to my motherinlaws.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:54 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Someone is once again confusing LewisBURG (where a PP&L fireless steamer sat along Rt. 11/15 for a few years north of town) and LewisTOWN.........

The absolute only possibility matching the original post, absent some disclaimer like a miniature live steamer, is the much-discussed/debated PRR K4s 1361, which stopped over at Lewistown Junction both ways en route to and from outings in York, Pa. from its home base in Altoona in August 1988. The description of "in steam" and the baggage/tool car match. 1361 suffered hot journals en route home from York and laid over in Lewistown for some period of time, as I remember it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 pm 

It very well could have been 1988. I vaguely remember something of concern for the engine being there. Lewistown certainly didnt have viable reasons otherwise for the locomotive being there, certainly not for display reasons at the location it was standing. I had suspicions it may have been 1361, to my knowledge it was the only Pennsy steam in action in during that era, other than 1223 and 7002. I dont believe the latter made it that far west on their respective excursions.

Mr. Mitchell, although it is only speculation (as in we cannot be sure that it was 1361), thank you for your insight.

Tim