It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Photos of Lightweight Head-End Cars
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 pm 

Hello everyone,

First off, for the mods, if this isn't the appropriate avenue, I apologize.

I am currently in the process of working on a book on Lightweight Head-End Cars (Baggage, RPO, Steam Generators, etc.), title TBD (until I come up with something clever or interesting). I am working with Garbely Publishing to get this little book off the ground and into a physical form. As of right now, it is slated for a 2022 publication, exact date yet to be determined.

What I am looking for is photos of cars in service during the 1940s-1970s (possibly later, depending on the subject). Original owners, second-hand owners, Unusual and rare subjects are welcomed. Preservation era images aren't essential but may be considered where other options are not available. Any and all railroads that owned lightweight head-end cars are desired, but some lines (SP&S, D&H/GM&O, Frisco, MP/T&P, IC, L&N, Rock Island are some examples) are of greater priority as they have yet to be represented visually. As there are a number of railroads (46 railroads), cars (some 2,400) and number classes (several hundred), listing all exact particulars here would be a bit much to digest.

If you have images that may fit or would like particulars/specifics, please get in touch with me by sending a message through here and we can work from there. Any photos that can be used will be properly credited for in the final work.

Also, for you passenger equipment experts, I would like to confer with some of you on particulars about some of the cars (partiuclarly the preserved examples) if that is possible. I would like to iron out some of the lumps and conflicting info I've run across.

Thank you,
Wil Hata

Railroad Preservation Index 2015-2021