It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Youngstown, OH
Last week members of the Bring Back 757 crew met in Strasburg, PA to continue work on the locomotive. Here is the video recap of the work performed:

https://youtu.be/SCPEiyAP_G8

_________________
Rick Rowlands
Steel Industry Preservationist, Narrow Gauge Railroader and ALCOhaulic


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Posts: 392
Location: Bowie, MD
Thanks for the updates.

Interesting choice to tow instead of trucking in pieces (as recently done with the NKP Mike) or loading onto a flat car (ala Reading 2100) (perhaps not possible with the catenary).

I'll go out on a limb and guess NS is ok, pending inspection, with towing.

I'll go more out on a limb and surmise this is an interesting side benefit of NS's familiarity with NKP 765 and the team involved in 757.

Cheers,

Bob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2097
The only concern is to activate the braking and lube up the journals and rods, unless they plan to take the rods off. Probably disconnect the main rod as your going to chuff along the whole way. 765 when moving out of Lawton Park made this great whooshing sound as they moved it. If you can go rail to rail, perfect.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:58 pm
Posts: 874
great to hear you haven't found any major concerns. She's in good hands.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm 

Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 1:12 am
Posts: 51
I know it's presumptuous at this time, but is this new enthusiasm surrounding 757 merit a possible inspection for a future operational restoration?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Youngstown, OH
JayZee wrote:
I know it's presumptuous at this time, but is this new enthusiasm surrounding 757 merit a possible inspection for a future operational restoration?


No. If we ever want to see 757 run again, we will gather up the number plate and some decals, make a trip to Fort Wayne and beg our friends to renumber the 765 for a day.

_________________
Rick Rowlands
Steel Industry Preservationist, Narrow Gauge Railroader and ALCOhaulic


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 722
Rick knows they need not beg ;) I'd be surprised if renumbering it didn't happen in 2018 or 2019...

But the question does fall under the effort's FAQs:
https://bringback757.org/faq/

As for 624, the cost to move pick it up and move it to an active railroad and then ship it via flatcar and then pick it up again to unload would have been prohibitively expensive.

_________________
Kelly Lynch
Vice President
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc
http://www.fwrhs.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:31 am
Posts: 1102
Location: South Carolina
dinwitty wrote:
The only concern is to activate the braking and lube up the journals and rods, unless they plan to take the rods off. Probably disconnect the main rod as your going to chuff along the whole way. 765 when moving out of Lawton Park made this great whooshing sound as they moved it. If you can go rail to rail, perfect.


The video implies they intend to tow it with the rods on. The tandem rod arrangement used on most Berkshires means if you take off the main rods, you have to take off the 3-4 rods as well. That would make the main drivers severely imbalanced which might mandate ridiculously low towing speeds.

Likely the optimum arrangement for towing is to remove the pistons and leave the main rods installed.

_________________
Hugh Odom
The Ultimate Steam Page
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 am 

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am
Posts: 1251
Location: Strasburg, PA
whodom wrote:
The video implies they intend to tow it with the rods on. The tandem rod arrangement used on most Berkshires means if you take off the main rods, you have to take off the 3-4 rods as well. That would make the main drivers severely imbalanced which might mandate ridiculously low towing speeds.

Likely the optimum arrangement for towing is to remove the pistons and leave the main rods installed.

I believe the plan is to move the engine with the main rods off but with the rear side rods in place, which is why we pressed out the bushings connecting the two (120 tons plus to get them out). The left crosshead is frozen in its guides to where a 100 ton portapower wouldn't budge it.

_________________
"It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work."
C. S. Forester

Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Department


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:31 am
Posts: 1102
Location: South Carolina
Kelly Anderson wrote:
I believe the plan is to move the engine with the main rods off but with the rear side rods in place, which is why we pressed out the bushings connecting the two (120 tons plus to get them out). The left crosshead is frozen in its guides to where a 100 ton portapower wouldn't budge it.


Sounds like a good plan.

When I worked for the N&W/NS in the early 80's, I rode the ferry run of NKP 765 from Indiana to Bellevue. The right main rod crank bushing ran very hot during the run, so the next week we pulled the main rod and 3-4 rod. That bushing you're talking about FELL out when we removed the rods; it was that loose. Former NKP machinist/then NS General Foreman Clarence Williams was overseeing things. The Fort Wayne guys were on a tight budget at the time, so IIRC we installed shims around that bushing and pressed it back in place. It ran that way for several excursions until NS leased the engine to replace the ailing 2716. That allowed things like that to be corrected ASAP to ensure the engine could perform reliably down on the Southern.

_________________
Hugh Odom
The Ultimate Steam Page
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Youngstown, OH
All of the side rods will be in place. The main rods will not be on, and in their place will be four 1 3/4" thick spacers. I took measurements for the spacers and the Bellevue home shop crew will be making them up.

At some point the main rods will be hauled back to Bellevue on a trailer, but for now they are sitting under the left side cylinder.

_________________
Rick Rowlands
Steel Industry Preservationist, Narrow Gauge Railroader and ALCOhaulic


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2097
Kelly Anderson wrote:
whodom wrote:
The video implies they intend to tow it with the rods on. The tandem rod arrangement used on most Berkshires means if you take off the main rods, you have to take off the 3-4 rods as well. That would make the main drivers severely imbalanced which might mandate ridiculously low towing speeds.

Likely the optimum arrangement for towing is to remove the pistons and leave the main rods installed.

I believe the plan is to move the engine with the main rods off but with the rear side rods in place, which is why we pressed out the bushings connecting the two (120 tons plus to get them out). The left crosshead is frozen in its guides to where a 100 ton portapower wouldn't budge it.


Why these engines sometimes need a little excersize even on static display.
The piston may the culprit on this. If ever to get these to move disconnect the piston rod.
For now thats not needed till the move is done. Toss a good rust dissolving penetrating oil on it for now, maybe blast some oil in the cylinder if possible.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:10 pm
Posts: 956
The pistons were removed when the locomotive was moved to the museum about 50 years ago. It arrived with the main rods and crossheads in place, and the pistons were in the tender. The crosshead rusted fast when water entered through the lubrication points atop the crosshead guide.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:34 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 1063
Location: Youngstown, OH
We could lube 757's pistons and rods, but would have to go to Scranton to do it!

759's pistons and rods are in the tender, happily living out their days.


Attachments:
2017-10-06 10.28.07.jpg
2017-10-06 10.28.07.jpg [ 142.91 KiB | Viewed 911 times ]

_________________
Rick Rowlands
Steel Industry Preservationist, Narrow Gauge Railroader and ALCOhaulic
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Latest on the NKP 757 Project
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2097
G. W. Laepple wrote:
The pistons were removed when the locomotive was moved to the museum about 50 years ago. It arrived with the main rods and crossheads in place, and the pistons were in the tender. The crosshead rusted fast when water entered through the lubrication points atop the crosshead guide.


you may need a 200 ton ram or higher. There is no other way than to break the rust.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dennis Daugherty, Jdelhaye, Mount Royal and 55 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: