It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1309 - All dressed up and nowhere to go
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 pm 

Antifoam: double headers work best when both locomotives have similar operating characteristics. Would you run a Y and J on the same excursion? One would either hold the other back or shove the other slowly forward. Foam rationally, people, if such things are possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:09 pm 

OK. #1309 and #614. Where do I show up to take photos without buying a ticket?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:28 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:

I'll send you my Bitcoin address. Tickets are 1BTC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:33 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:

Like button - Thumbs up - Smiley face

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm 

Dave wrote:
Antifoam: double headers work best when both locomotives have similar operating characteristics. Would you run a Y and J on the same excursion? One would either hold the other back or shove the other slowly forward. Foam rationally, people, if such things are possible.

Just out of curiosity, how would this have worked out for a Y6 and an A? That combination was done regularly on coal trains east of Roanoke, and incorporated a second Y on the famous pusher grade up from Boaz, Va.

Of course, I would not suggest that for an excursion!! Talk about overkill in tractive effort for a passenger train!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:37 pm 

Coal drags don;t have the option of speeding at passenger speeds up grades, so it is that rather than a power mismatch that was the issue. Now, suppose the Y stayed coupled on after doing its pushing job...... and the A tried to pull it along with the train at high speed. Rods would be flying off into the brush.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 pm 

On the level, when you're doubleheading for more horsepower, yes, it makes sense, but on a ruling grade, the low wheeled engine supplies the tractive effort while the high wheeled road engine contributes what it can. Think of PRR with 2 K4's on a heavy express train racing from Crestline to Chicago, then think of ATSF on Raton with an old 2-10-2 leading a modern 4-8-4 on a passenger train.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:27 am 

Speaking of doubleheading N&W Ys and As--should have had this up earlier, a classic in my view, a short video of operations near Blue Ridge, Va. Just something cool to watch and enjoy--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV8rA3UE-lc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:29 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
Also see NKP 765's short moves over CSX to access Cuyahoga Valley's line in Ohio the last few times the locomotive visited. I'd say change is in the air...
Big difference. 765 has a long proven track record of reliability, and proven crews. Taking a large steamer, fresh from restoration, unproven. is not likely to be on CSX trackage. It wasn't but a few years ago they wouldn't let 734 on their tracks for 10 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:21 pm 

Was 765's short moves over CSX under steam or was it dead-in-tow? I don't see where the big problem would be towing a roller-bearing steam engine by diesel power. It would have to be a special move much like a high/wide load.

On a different note, I was rummaging through some old slides and this one was taken in 1979. Who knew then what would happen to that engine over 40 years later.

Attachments:
179D0251.JPG
179D0251.JPG [ 77.33 KiB | Viewed 4229 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm 

The last thing CSX wants to do is have to call a crew, take the time etc to move a steamer. I think often the "no roller bearing/no steam" etc is just an easy way for them to not have to deal with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:06 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
Was 765's short moves over CSX under steam or was it dead-in-tow? I don't see where the big problem would be towing a roller-bearing steam engine by diesel power. It would have to be a special move much like a high/wide load.

Under steam, during their ferry moves. Maybe without diesel (maybe with, I don't remember).

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:32 pm 

It might not be a big deal...at least to you and me. BUT, look at it from the RR's view. People hear about a Steam Locomotive being moved, hot or not. And out come the foamers. Just picture (and we've all seen it) the idiot with he camera standing on or just too close tot he track, and they get hit/killed. In our sue crazy society, the RRs just don't need the hassle. Some have been very gracious over the years, others have not. And depending on who is in the board room, this changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
The WMSR crew is still putting the finishing touches on 1309, and some of you are already speculating about where else it could/will/should operate? Let's all sit back and let them do their thing with 1309, and get their railroad in order.
Howard P.

Plus, "You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You". I doubt the region in which WMSR operates, which has contributed to 1309's restoration, and now is being asked for money for track, would be thrilled to see it attracting visitors in other regions. Part of the appeal of having this articulated steamer is that it is unique (in the east anyway), having 1309 attracts attention to a not so prosperous region in a way the other destinations mentioned won't be able to. Sending it around like the Gramlings do with their engines would take away that proprietary draw for the hotels, restaurants and other accommodations around western Maryland.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 pm 

PMC wrote:
Howard P. wrote:
The WMSR crew is still putting the finishing touches on 1309, and some of you are already speculating about where else it could/will/should operate? Let's all sit back and let them do their thing with 1309, and get their railroad in order.
Howard P.

Plus, "You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You". I doubt the region in which WMSR operates, which has contributed to 1309's restoration, and now is being asked for money for track, would be thrilled to see it attracting visitors in other regions. Part of the appeal of having this articulated steamer is that it is unique (in the east anyway), having 1309 attracts attention to a not so prosperous region in a way the other destinations mentioned won't be able to. Sending it around like the Gramlings do with their engines would take away that proprietary draw for the hotels, restaurants and other accommodations around western Maryland.

Are we expecting the 1309 to be a draw to the non-railfan crowd? That’s a serious question. It will be a draw for me but so is the Inyo and the Glenbrook out in Nevada so I’m not going to use my own judgement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next