It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cutting out Tubes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:24 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 269
Location: San Diego area
How do most people cut out boiler tubes?

We've been working for a while on cutting the tubes out of a couple of engines for boiler inspections. Most people I've talked to say to use a cutting torch. We've been using a regular cutting torch, but for the tubes that are anywhere near the sides of the boiler, it seems really difficult to manuver the torch into the right position. Maybe its because we're not very experienced at this, but is sure goes slow.

I saw a cutting tool advertized that would cut a 2" tube in 15 seconds. I rented it, and it didn't work. Turned out it was designed for cutting the ends off of new tubes before rolling onto the sheet.

Is there such a thing as a torch that will fit inside a 2" tube? Or a tool that will do the job?

I've had some helpful suggestions via PM from Bob K, but I thought I'd check what others had to say.

Thanks for your help.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: short torch tips are out there
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:19 am 

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:18 pm
Posts: 150
Short tips are made just for cutting out tubes. If you can't get anywere with your local or regional welding supply store, try this link to info and a catalog from Victor which includes a number of manufacturers's tips and torches.

Here is a page from Victor's website showing a boiler tube tip Series 1 Model 1-108 then pick the trade hole size for your application - probably size 0 will do any tube out there cuts 1/4" - 1/2":

http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/litL ... 5-2007.pdf

Or, here is a whole catalog of a number of manufacturers (6meg file):

http://www.thermadyne.com/victor/litera ... 0_2510.pdf


Hope this helps,
Ray

_________________
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: short torch tips are out there
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm 

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 am
Posts: 97
Location: back at home (finally)
I have wondered about the prospect of having a set of step drills ground for this purpose
It would definately save the danger of a slice in the wrong place

dr

_________________
can a man go 250 mph on steam...for cheap...on victorian technology
...I Think so...lets do it!!!!!!!!!!!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutting out Tubes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:13 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:09 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Los Angeles
Short tip is the only tip. Oh, one more. be careful when you cut the tube loose as it will fall and catch the torch, pinch it between the sheet edge and in the tube. Finish your cut at the bottom of the tube.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutting out Tubes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:22 am 

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:55 pm
Posts: 269
Location: San Diego area
Gentlemen: Thanks a lot for the info. Sorry about the time lag in getting back to you. Been getting the house and RV ready for a three-week trip (and taking care of grand-kids). Then a trip as brakeman on one of our trips to Tecate, Mexico. Who has time to be retired???

I'll be back in mid-July; will try the short tip in August.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutting out Tubes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 6464
Location: southeastern USA
Doesn't anybody still make the tube cutter tool that slips into the tube end and is powered by your pneumatic motor? Given the number of industrial boiler shops still working hard, I would assume they are still available. Sure eliminates the danger posed by using Old Nick the cutting torch....

dave

_________________
“God, the beautiful racket of it all: the sighing and hissing, the rattle and clack of the cars over the rails. These were the sounds that made America the greatest country on earth." Jonathan Evison


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: pneumatic Cutting
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:15 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:09 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Los Angeles
There must be a pneumatic cutter out there somewhere but I can't find one. I have used pneumatic tools to cut, trim and wipe the seal weld and bead but I have not seen a cutter that will cut behind the sheet. I have used these machines from Esco http://www.escotool.com/

Jim told me that he had a machine that was supposed to cut behind the sheet however when he got it to his shop it would not perform. If someone knows of a cutter that works I'd like to hear about it. Jim used a tool from Wilson, http://www.tcwilson.com/ Wilson does have a roller that will roll, flare, bead and reroll all at one time. I am looking forward to trying that one.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutting out Tubes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:28 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:14 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Essex, Connecticut, USA
Dear Dave:
Indeed there is (but not cheap, what a surprise).
Go to www.impactsocket.com and go to the bottom of the opening page and click on "tube expanders" then click on "tube removal tools" then "one revolution internal tube cutter" available in sizes up to 2-1/2".
They also have an internal tube cutter for trimming off ends during installation (again not cheap, but less than Wiedeke).
By the way: I have tried short tips for cutting out tubes and have found that they plug up quickly when cutting tubes that are heavily scaled on the water side.
The "one revolution" type tube cutter is (in my opinion) the best (read quickest) way to remove a full set of tubes. For selective removals the torch is the best. I split the tube about 4 inches in 4 or 5 places in front end, cut rear end circumferentially, collapse the splits and pull the tube out through it's own hole (if possible).
J.David


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: