It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:52 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Effective today, 26 July, the YRE project website is up and running at....yellowribbonexpress.com
Please keep in mind that it is VERY much a work in progress (as is the underlying project itself) and that many additions/improvements will be made in the days/weeks immediately ahead.
Also, please be ever mindful of the critical fact that to become reality the project must be able to successfully garner $50 million dollars in corporate co-sponsorships for the business model upon which it is built to work. This will not be an easy task to say the least, and therefore it may well end up not happenning.
We've been working in the background on this since Feb.'06 and the further we get the more optimistic I've become that we will be able to secure the necessary funding-BUT-the proof is in the pudding-so we'll see in the next 6 months or so if my optimism proves correct???
As to the many rail related questions you may have, let me say that IF we are able to get the critical corporate partners signed on and thus have a viable project, the YRE WILL be an all steam powered special train with C&O #614 as the "main" motive power in partnership with a number of additional,suitable, mainline capable steam locomotives. The 10 display cars will be custom rebuilds and each will contain a people mover identical to the system that worked so well on the American Freedom Train. The "VIP" cars bringing up the rear of the YRE will be specifically reconstructed so as to allow us to carry approx. 300 VIP wounded warriors as our special guests into thier hometowns as we make our way through the nation over the 3 year,25,000 mile journey. The balance of the 24 car long train will be comprised of various support cars.
In recognition of todays realities the 614 will be converted to burn bio-diesel during its FRA work-up, in part so that she can be an environmentally clean good will ambassador and for operating practicalities.
I will do my best to keep you updated on our progress and when we've been able to secure our corporate partners I will reach out for your suggestions as to how we can make the YRE the best it can be.
The YRE is all about saying thanks to the brave Americans who have answered the Call To Duty and are serving our nation on the front lines in this Global War On Terrorism. Seems to me that we're going to be in this struggle for a LONG,LONG time and all of us need to do whatever we can as individuals to encourage our young people to consider answering the Call To Duty so that we can maintain an all volunteer military.
From the relatively narrow perspective of a life long steam enthusiast I also see the 3 year,25,000 mile,150 display city journey of the YRE as a superb opportunity to showcase our railroad preservation industry and to highlight those properties (museums,operating tourist shortlines etc.) within a 50 mile radius of each of the 150 display sites so that they will benefit from the extensive media coverage and the average daily 15,000 visitors to the YRE.
I'm confident that I carry your well wishes into this next critical phase (getting the $50 million in corporate sponsorships) and pledge to you that I will report back in a timely manner on our progress.
Thank you, Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:45 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:07 am
Posts: 630
Interesting project -- one quick question -- has IRS approved this as a tax exempt organization?

Bob H


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:03 am 

Bravo, Ross!

I hope the foundation will target some national radio talk shows as well as such TV shows as Good Morning America and Today for national exposure. This will increase project credibility thereby making corporate fund raising easier.

Best wishes for super success.

Sloan


  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:15 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
Yes, the Yellow Ribbon Express Foundation, Inc. has been approved by the IRS as a 501 C 3 organization. Thanks for asking, I should have stated that above. We will post a copy of the IRS letter on the YRE website soon.
Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:37 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
An intuitive and ingenius way of executing two worthwhile projects; honoring our returning soldiers and those who made the supreme sacrifice, and putting one of America's favorite locomotives back in steam. I must say, more of this type of thinking could well be the key to revitalizing the historic structure of America. Congratulations, Ross! Open the throttle and let her rip!

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:56 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:36 pm
Posts: 139
You might go to the link in this reply. The Foundation Center has a wealth of information about Grant givers and the ones getting the grants. You can mine a lot of information for free. The basic subscription is about $200 a year. There are "Cooperating Collections" spread out across the U.S. that contain the same info as the Center. Might be one in your area. Information about the Collections is also at the Foundation Center web page. Put on your best dress and go courting! Look for a life partner not a "Sugar Daddy". The money is there. To remain a 501 (c)3 non-profit, foundations and others are required by law to donate 5% of their worth every year. The money is there with your name on it. Now go tell them your address!

http://www.foundationcenter.org/about/l ... D5AAAACI2F

_________________
Robin


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:04 pm 

Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:43 am
Posts: 4
I cannot say that I share other posters enthusiasms for this project.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:21 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:07 am
Posts: 737
Location: Philadelphia Pa
I agree.

I will await further details to finalize my opinion....(not that it even counts)

Best of Luck to Ross.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Pittsburgh PA
I might humbly suggest that a reasonable chunk of the necessary funding could be saved by not utilizing the C&O 614. I tend to think there are enough road-ready steam locomotives in the country to pull this off without tearing into 614's costly repairs, and this might go a long way toward showing potential sponsors that their money is being wisely invested.

I think one can understand Mr. Rowland's reasoning, I'm just not sure I agree with this particular aspect of the project. Again, only a humble suggestion.

Regardless, best of luck Ross!


Last edited by Tim Botti on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:55 pm 

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:24 am
Posts: 545
Location: Canada
Just musing here Ross, so bear with me... If you left the 614 as a coal burner, burning American coal, would it be possible to get sponsorship from the coal lobby? The fact that it would be historically accurate would be a bonus? Or is it more to the point that burning a liquid fuel is easier on the road, less possibility of cinder fires, no ash dumping, portable refuelling etc? And when you say that 614 would be the primary power source, but other suitable power partnerships are planned...does this mean other oil burning power, I can't see many other organizations saying yes to oil conversions for their coal burning engines. I suppose you could fix the ills of 2100 with a new burner design, but where else do you propose getting a large oil burner to play ball, the only thing that springs to mind are 3751, 4449 or 700? Doubtful UP would lend out 844 or 3985.
AT&SF 2926 would be a worthy stable mate to 614 though if she could be finished!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 pm 

Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 10:27 am
Posts: 229
Location: New Haven Ct area
Quote:
If you left the 614 as a coal burner, burning American coal, would it be possible to get sponsorship from the coal lobby?


One thing to keep in mind here that I could see causing problems as one working in the power industry. Both the power and coal industry is trying real hard to rebrand "Clean" coal technologies. These include removing virtually all particulate matter from the coal, scrubbing out all the mercury, sulfur and nox to say the least. Then the future of clean coal also includes gasification to sequestration (aka burying the CO2).

The word coal as it is already has really become a real curse word to the environmentalists as is. I could only imagine what bringing a steam locomotive belching black plumes and smelly smoke around the country would do to the industry. Coal has a bad rep as it is already. I keep trying to tell people that we really need to change our language here in the plants as it is. Instead of saying we are a "Coal Burning" power plant, perhaps we should say "Harvesting the energy from our nations natural stored solar reserves!"

Seriously thou, some how unless you want to try to drag behind the locomotive an electrostatic precip, maybe toss in a wet scrubber too so that at no time do you risk any stack opacity (a technical word describing how black the smoke gets) big railfan friendly plumes of black smoke could really set back that whole "clean" coal initiative where they have already invested billions into marketing.


Adam


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:24 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
I might humbly suggest that a reasonable chunk of the necessary funding could be saved by not utilizting the C&O 614. I tend to think there are enough road-ready steam locomotives in the country to pull this off without tearing into 614's costly repairs, and this might go a long way towards showing potential sponsors that their money is being wisely invested.


Though I will agree with Brother Botti regarding the fact that there are a wealth of under-employed big steamers out there awaiting a chance to strut or gallop (1522? 819? 3751? 765? 763? 1225? 700? 4449? 261?), there also exists the very real possibility that the only way such a project will come off from a purely logistical standpoint in 2008 will be with a specific privately-owned loco being volunteered for the project. I don't know every devil in the details, but imagine the outrage in Altoona if someone proposed leasing 1361, their "official state steam locomotive", to run about the country for a year or two. Oops, bad example, sorry. Okay, would Ft. Wayne lease 765 to this project? Would MSTRP lease 1225?

As another example of this dilemma, for some time during the post-1963 British Rail days, part of the reason that Alan Pegler's LNER 4472 Flying Scotsman was permitted to run on British Rail was because of a private agreement made during the sale pertaining to Pegler's ownership. Had 4472 been owned by an excursion line or museum, it would not have operated on the main line in the post-steam era--and for several years, it was the ONLY main-line steamer operating on British main lines.

I will grant that this sounds very much like fabricating an "excuse" to get someone else to pay to fix up 614 and let Rowland run it. I could also say the same damned thing about every photo charter organizer that gets a bunch of other people to pay him to go out and have fun. Rowland has a fairly controversial and spotty record regarding past escapades (AFT and Chessie Steam: good; High Iron and NJT: not very good; 21st Century Ltd.: never got off the ground), and I will withhold judgment until I see whether there's any substance to back up this dream.

One last note: Technically, this post counts as a "personal attack" with some of the last sentence. Until such time as we see the names of other individuals, corporations, or foundations attached to this project, there is simply no way to discuss this project in anything but personal terms, for in reality it basically amounts to one person's dreams or ambitions unless we hear otherwise. I think Rowland, being as public a figure as we have in this "industry", rises to the rank of "celebrity" by this latest announcement, and is thus fair game for appropriate targeted criticism (i.e. relating to this project and his history with similar projects, not his personal or private life).


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 pm
Posts: 2696
Location: Pac NW, via North Florida
I disagree about using a "rented" locomotive. It's like borrowing someone else's car, you can do things with your own equipment you can't do with other's.
torquemada wrote:
I cannot say that I share other posters enthusiasms for this project.

Why? Is it you think this can't be pulled off or that it's not a worthwhile cause? Out of anyone else, I'd chuckle at the mere idea that it could be done. But coming from Ross, I have no reason to believe he couldn't pull it off.
As a lifelong collector or military items, former Army officer and a historian for various books, magazines and TV/film projects, I'm really enthused at this idea and I think the time is right for it, even with the current political/military situation going on. Heck, I'd gladly offer any services I could for this project on the military or historical aspects if Ross ever needed anyone. I'm serious, Ross, as It's the least I could do for the man who got the American Freedom Train going!
There is one aspect I'm not too clear on. Would funding for the project be used to get 614 running? Not that I think that would be wrong, I just wasn't too sure how 614 would get back into steam otherwise. And as for Ross's track record (pun intended) being "spotty," I'd say his loss/win ratio is still a lot higher than just about anyone else in the rail preservation community in regards to large public projects.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Yellow Ribbon Express
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:30 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Posts: 2701
Location: Sackets Harbor, NY
By way of a couple of clarifications please allow me to say;
1. The reason we're going to convert the 614 to burn bio-diesel ( I too VERY much prefer coal) is a combination of fiscal reality (over a 3 year tour the net cost differential comes out in bio-diesels favor by some $400,000!!) and practical operating realities. We can't any longer just dump the ashes,rake them level and go on about our business. They must be properly cleaned up and disposed of in an APPROVED facility. Well if you're planning to be out there for 36 months-that's a lot of ashes and a lot of expense. Additionally we can get bio-diesel delivered anywhere, whereas the coal needs to be shipped in dedicated gons,pre positioned, burrow crane&operator hired etc. etc. Unfortunatly it's a no brainer.
2. The YRE is all about showing our gratitude to those serving the nation on the front lines. It is not pro-war, it IS pro-troops.
3. We have been able to garner substantial support in the Pentagon and letters evidencing that will soon be posted on the YRE website.
4. Yes, those wishing to make a personal financial contribution to the YRE Foundation (a 501 C 3) are welcome to do so and all contributions are most welcome and will be sincerly appreciated. The mailing address is on the YRE site. However, it is VERY important to again state that the project is soley dependant on our ability to attract $50 million dollars in corporate sponsorships-no mean feat and there is no assurance we'll be successful. Contributions made now will help us inprove our presentation materials etc. which will better our chances of getting the sponsors.
5.I'm used to the personal gibes and I long ago learned to first look at the accomplishment record of the giber. Enough on that.
6. I'm pleased to report that since this mornings announcement we've recieved a total of 157 e-messages. 146 positive,7 nuetral and 4 negative. I'll take that ANYDAY. My gosh even Ted Williams only batted 400!! I thank everyone for their support and well wishes.
I'll do my best to keep you informed of our progress.
Sincerely, Ross Rowland


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Biodiesel steamers?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Let me get this straight: This guy is supporting biodiesel instead of coal???? Okay, who are you, and what are you doing assuming Ross Rowland's identity? <:-)

I now find the biodiesel aspects of this project absolutely compelling. While for now avoiding the raucous debates I have been having with both environmentally-friendly biodiesel supporters and the physicists who say there is no net gain in energy savings for biodiesel, I find the cost and availability claims of Rowland a huge plus, if true. I well remember the nightmare of Rowland, McCormack, Yarger, Purdie, and many British steam loco owners maintaining a consistent supply stream of quality coal for their locomotives (down to ordering from specific seams in specific mines!).

Furthermore, to properly demonstrate this concept, someone, somewhere, has to volunteer a steamer for massive retrofitting; and what better loco than 614, which had already been outfitted with test gear and probably experimental conversions during its American Coal Enterprises days? Better this loco than the "historical fabric" of the locos I listed above, I guess. I remember a railroad official telling me years ago "everybody in this industry wants to be #2" when it comes to new technology; if Rowland successfully demonstrates biodiesel, will excursion lines like Grand Canyon, Sierra, TVRM, Durango & Silverton, Conway, etc. consider following suit?

There's a certain jaded cynicism that gets in me by now, after years of finding out about things as varied as the East Broad Top follies, the short line where the president of the railroad set up a loco leasing company to lease the line's locomotives to himself at a handsome profit, etc. Part of me is sincerely rooting for this project's success, while another part of me says "I'll believe it when I see the first two inter-city laps run successfully."


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: